Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post ACL reconstruction worries  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Jamie_english91

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post ACL reconstruction worries
« on: December 12, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here and after reading a few threads from this website I thought I'd make an account and try to put my mind at ease.

I had surgery on 24/11/14 and so am nearly 3 weeks post op; I had my ACL reconstructed with a hamstring harvest and also had my meniscus removed as it was too damaged. Everything has been going fine up until last night, I was walking (without crutches as I can support my weight now) and I must have momentarily forgotten about my knee and accidentally put too much weight on my operated leg and my knee gave way and buckled. I think it straightened fully with full weight and then buckled? It didn't twist or anything but it did hurt and for the rest of the night it was aching and quite painful but now it seems to be back to normal pain wise and by that I mean relatively painless.

My worry is that I have ruptured the graft or done something to the screws/insertion points. I understand that some instability post op is normal but after the incident it seems to be more unstable/giving out more often? Or it might be because I am more aware of it and worried about it having done something that I think could've damaged it.

Can putting too much weight on a recently reconstructed ACL in any way damage the new graft/screws/insertion points etc? I did call my physiotherapist and she said that I probably just tweaked it? I thought I'd get a second opinion because I naturally worry about everything and I'm constantly being tortured by my mind haha!

Any info is greatly appreciated  ;D

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Post ACL reconstruction worries
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »
Don't worry about asking, all of us have been through this at one time or another.

We cannot say one way or the other, we can only relate our personal experiences of such events. The only way you will be reassured is if you go to a doctor or therapist you trust and let them check it out in real life. The lack of pain implies you may have just tweeked it but until someone actually carries out the accepted tests to check for an end point,you will worry.

You are only 3 weeks out from surgery, so if your surgeon allows you to walk without crutches, fine but even if you are fully weight-bearing they have their uses in just such situations. I was weight-bearing from the day of the operation with my 4th ACL repair (1st on that leg), but I had to continue to use the crutches for a considerable period of time to ensure I did not limp any more than absolutely necessary. As soon as I had full extension, I was using a proper, if slow full heel through to toe gait with the crutches to help if necessary. The therapists even lengthened them so I was more upright and not so inclined to "sink" on to them.

Get someone to look at your knee, then laugh at it if everything is OK - we've all been there and done that!

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee