Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: acl busted, difficult times ahead  (Read 1156 times)

Offline fvisser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
acl busted, difficult times ahead
« on: February 10, 2004, 02:28:45 PM »
Life sucks at the moment. Busted my knee Saturday while skiing  :( The French doctor told me my ACL is busted (There are 2 + signs next to the Lachman test)

Got back yesterday evening and have been surfing the web to figure out what is wrong, and see that I have some interesting choices to make.

I am not an aggressive sporter, but I love skiing. I do a lot of hiking in mountains and wilderness areas, quite often alone, and the thought of doing that with a potentially unstable knee is not very appealing. I get the strong impression that not doing an operation will be a bad decision in the long run, because it seems to be a matter of time before you damage the knee.

Well, first things first: going to A&E to get a referral, physiotherapy and a MRI appointment I guess.I called my  GP but she can't see me before Monday, which I find unacceptable. Thank god I have private insurance.

Any encouraging words, and some early feedback on the operation/non operation decision will be gratefully received

Frank

Offline fvisser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
acl busted, difficult times ahead
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 02:28:45 PM »
Life sucks at the moment. Busted my knee Saturday while skiing  :( The French doctor told me my ACL is busted (There are 2 + signs next to the Lachman test)

Got back yesterday evening and have been surfing the web to figure out what is wrong, and see that I have some interesting choices to make.

I am not an aggressive sporter, but I love skiing. I do a lot of hiking in mountains and wilderness areas, quite often alone, and the thought of doing that with a potentially unstable knee is not very appealing. I get the strong impression that not doing an operation will be a bad decision in the long run, because it seems to be a matter of time before you damage the knee.

Well, first things first: going to A&E to get a referral, physiotherapy and a MRI appointment I guess.I called my  GP but she can't see me before Monday, which I find unacceptable. Thank god I have private insurance.

Any encouraging words, and some early feedback on the operation/non operation decision will be gratefully received

Frank

Offline Macca

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: acl busted, difficult times ahead
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 05:24:31 PM »
Hi Frank,

I injured my ACL when I was 17 playing football. During the injury I injured the cartlidge on both sides of my knee. Foolishly to keep fit I carried on running on uneven ground. After about a week I injured the cartlidge again and now have no meniscal cartlidge. Therefore if you plan on hiking etc thenI would definately go ahead with the operation. It is a pain but it's awesome to get a stable knee again. If you have to wait for your op make sure you keep yourself fit by cycling or on the cross trainer at the gym, not running or walking on uneven ground!

Hope this helps

Macca

Offline Macca

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: acl busted, difficult times ahead
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 05:24:31 PM »
Hi Frank,

I injured my ACL when I was 17 playing football. During the injury I injured the cartlidge on both sides of my knee. Foolishly to keep fit I carried on running on uneven ground. After about a week I injured the cartlidge again and now have no meniscal cartlidge. Therefore if you plan on hiking etc thenI would definately go ahead with the operation. It is a pain but it's awesome to get a stable knee again. If you have to wait for your op make sure you keep yourself fit by cycling or on the cross trainer at the gym, not running or walking on uneven ground!

Hope this helps

Macca