Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Broken Knee cap- "The splendid journey"  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Scarfie12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Broken Knee cap- "The splendid journey"
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:36:50 PM »
Greetings fellow knee cap breakers!

two days ago (December 10, 2014) I officially broke my patella whilst walking into my garage at home, the concrete was wet from the days rain so of course 'Lucky me!' I thus slipped and my right knee was the first part of my to make contact. My reaction at first was to lay down for a brief moments, then 'walk it off' as I did not expect any damage to have come to it. So for the next few hours I limped around until the swelling got to much to handle- I presumed the swelling was white blood cells and would need to have it drained. My father (I am 23 and live with my parents) drove me to the emergency ward where I received 3 x-rays of my crippled leg which by this stage was impossible to bend, I waited for 2 flippin hours (seriously? 2 hours!) to get the results. The results of course were not good, being informed you have a broken pattella and that it is a transverse or displayed fracture (or both) could make any grown man cry if he knew of the long battle ahead of him. I almost fainted when the doctor said 'The swelling is actually blood'. I was put in a brace than sent home,and told that a orthopaedic surgeon would call me.

Fri, 12 Dec. Today I will call the hospital without haste to sort out my operation. (I am more than certain that I will need it)
I am fortunate that I feel very little pain, until The cast needs to be removed for showering or when I need to sleep! Codeine works wonders for killing the pain in my sleeping hours, though hard to say as I have only used them last night- Time will tell if I am correct. The swelling has intensified today, the swell has slowly spread to my foot making it uncomfortable to move.

Offline Scarfie12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Broken Knee cap- "The splendid journey"
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:08:08 PM »
Fri, 12 Dec

Just called the Orthopaedic department, I have an x-ray appointment on the 24th so I take that as being a good sign, the break can't be to bad otherwise I would have thought I would have been booked in for an operation. Hope I am right and can avoid surgery, that Way I can heal faster :) Throbbing like crazy right now, just took my meds. can't wait for it to kick in!

Offline papasmurf1978

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »
Do you have any damage to the cartilage behind the knee cap since the patella is broken?
August 2014 MRI:
Mild Chondromalacia Patella in both knees
Normal cartilage thickness in both knee caps

Offline Scarfie12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 02:17:29 AM »
papasmurf1978

I have not been informed on the actual damage (I live in New Zealand) in-fact I have received very little.

The sheer fact That I need to wait two weeks tells me that either 1# it is not as bad as I was led to believe or 2# They need the swelling to go down before they can fully access the damage. I will be surprised if there is no damage under the patella as I walked around on and forcefully bent my leg numerous times before I visited the hospital (the day I broke it). I am feeling frustrated that the Orthopaedic is leaving my appointment for so long, but all I can do is trust their experience in such matters.

I do not feel much pain at all..I find this odd considering the 'seriousness' of the injury, Only took one codeine last night. Slept like a baby, best sleep in two days. Almost "back to normal" in regards to sleeping pattern...perhaps to early to comment. Much easier using the crutches now, Refraining from putting any pressure on my 'stuffed' leg as I am yet to know of what damage is there.

Offline Ladyjan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 5
    • Chat with Ladyjan41
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 11:16:49 AM »
@scarfie12

I broke mine on a Saturday and had to wait until Tuesday for my op, in the meantime the swelling was huge and surprisingly little pain, I suppose it was nature doing it's thing and protecting the knee.
Unfortunately mine was broken in four pieces and needed surgery.

So glad you had a good nights sleep, it helps the healing process.

Keep posting

Jan x

Offline Scarfie12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »
Jan   Sun,14th Dec

The swelling is not 'Huge' per say, it is huge compared to my normal leg- but can't say it is overly inflamed. It does not appear to have changed shape since the initial break, I take this as a good sign. The colour is a little 'off' the colour being 'yellowish' in some places. Normal?. I slept well again last night, used 2 med's instead of one so was officially on mars (felt high!)for a good portion of the night.

Figured out an awesome showering technique, found a stool which I sit down on on the shower. don't need to bend my leg at all as I simply slide around on the stool (backwards) makes taking off the brace (and putting it back on) so much easier

Mine is broken in three places, Shaped like an upside down Y...well from what I was told it may only be split apart in one place, hoping the three parts are not all separated as such-That would be a bummer.
My Awesome boyfriend is picking me up soon, so much better doing nothing with him than doing nothing at home. Really need to get outside and soak up some vit D, have not been outside since the day of the accident! bad Sarah! *slaps own hand*

when you say Tues do you mean the following Tues? I have to wait two freaken weeks *sign*

Offline Scarfie12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
wed 17th Dec. Amazing progress. The swelling has reduced significantly in the past few days, feels weird as the brace I am using feels 'loose' now that my knee is almost back to normal size. The pain is all but gone, did not use any pain killers yesterdays or today (still rather early might I add) the only pain being when my leg gets itchy....the horror!. Wish the doctor gave me more than one brace, been a few hot days here and the brace now smells like..vinegar (I sweat a lot- genes from my father ha ha) will need to get a replacement on the 24th or at least get the bloody thing washed. I am tempted to put weight on my leg, but am reluctant as I do not know how long it takes bone to mend together "mental note-look that up" at least I am more active now, been doing more for myself rather than getting my family to do almost everything for me. This experience is not as bad as I expected it to be, I have been finding things to keep me occupied and I spend a-lot of time in the garden.

People with two good legs have no excuses for being 'bored!'.

Offline Scarfie12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »
Thursday 25th December

Great news. Yesterday I had my appointment with the orthopaedic department, the information they gave me being not what i was expecting (In a brilliant way) My knee cap healed miraculously quick meaning that know I only have a narrow crack running down the middle of my patella. I can now walk around (with brace on) and have been told that I can sleep with my brace removed, something I will refrain from doing for the time being. There is 0% pain when I bend my leg and does not hurt to the touch. One thing I wish for all of those reading with such injuries as mine is to ingest as much 'turmeric' and beneficial herbs and vitamins as humanly possible, I am a firm believer in the healing power of amazing herbs and link them to my speedy recovery. Cut out all wheat products and stay alkaline during your recovery- at least try my suggestion (or if you are close minded please research the topic, whats the harm in it?)

Today I I will exercise my leg, attempt at lifting it straight as I lay flat on my bad. An impossible task now yes, but one I will soon be victorious with :)    Stay strong folks!

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »
That certainly sounds like a surprising recovery without pain or inflammation... great to hear... these broken patella stories around here are rarely such a piece of cake...

So good luck and hope you improve quickly!

I would suggest passive activation of quads before attempting to lift it. Like in bed, with the leg resting on it's own weight, try to voluntary activate the quads several times... this will prepare you for future lifts and later quad sets when the time comes...

Offline Scarfie12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 11:53:51 AM »
03 Jan. 2015. Happy New Year!

Right, so I am now walking around as normal (thought I still use my brace) I have no pain what so ever. everything is...great :) I am able to lift my leg and can bend it easily whilst I have a shower. It is as my thread says "splendid journey" Yay for me!

Either my healing is superhuman or what the doctor first said regarding my injury was utter crap -_-

Offline Scarfie12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 05:26:22 AM »
12 Jan 2015

Walking as normal, except do not run or make any 'rash' movements with my leg. ACC is a bitch and need to pay a visit to my GP to get a medical certificate (just made the appointment)
I get no pain, but leg is a little stiff when I get up in the mornings. Walking 'normal' (without a limp) is becoming easier and the swelling is almost Zero. The kneecap feels out of shape compared to my left leg, but that can be ignored (it was virtually split into 3 parts!)

I can say that I am genuinely looking forward to getting back to work, My 'social network' is Nill at this time of the year so need something other than the computer screen and playstation console to keep me occupied.

Namaste and stay strong

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 06:56:57 AM »
Right, so I am now walking around as normal (thought I still use my brace) I have no pain what so ever. everything is...great :) I am able to lift my leg and can bend it easily whilst I have a shower. It is as my thread says "splendid journey" Yay for me!

Either my healing is superhuman or what the doctor first said regarding my injury was utter crap -_-

Can you borrow us your superhuman genes? We could cultivate them in lab and spread them for those in need  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Scarfie12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »
"Sprints outside to send a swab of my 'awesome DNA' to scientists around the world" 

Now....how to achieve world peace?

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 10:19:40 PM »
MDAL brings out his vampire teeth and takes a bite on Scarfie12 for the super healing genes! ;D ;D ;D

No need for scientists ;)