Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Weakness and atrophy after quad tendon repair  (Read 12428 times)

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
Re: Weakness and atrophy after quad tendon repair
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »
So last week I went back to the OS to discuss my issues with my left leg.  After taking a look and showing him what I could(n't) do he gave me a script for an MRI.  Since most of the script was written in the usual "Dr. Handwriting" I couldn't really make out most of what it says.  The word "RETEAR" was pretty clear though.  The MRI was last night but I have to wait until my appointment of Feb 3 for the details.  Hopefully I will get some answers to put my mind at ease.  I will update with the news.

Thanks again for all of the support.
Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 10:27:12 PM »
Wishing you all the best destroyed both tendons, hopping you have not got a retear, like i had, which was re-operated on 2 days ago.

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 06:10:38 PM »
My MRI showed that the quadriceps tendon in my left leg did not heal properly.  The choices are to have another surgery or have limited use of my left leg for the rest of my life.  I chose the surgery because I have to get back to bowling again.  This basically means starting from scratch (but only 1 leg this time and not 2).  Same recovery procedure.  4 weeks in an immobilizer & 4 to 6 weeks in a bledsoe brace.  At least I get to do this on my terms this time.
Surgery 12/21/13

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 12:48:54 AM »
Sorry to hear about needing further surgery, but like you said you don't really have a choice but to go with surgery again. At least it will be easier this time around, due to prior experience.

Hang in there, I know it can be quite devastating being told you need to have the surgery redone, look on the positive side of healing fully and getting back to bowling.

I'm 2 weeks post op from my own revision surgery and things are a little easier 2nd time around.

At least you can plan and organise before the upcoming surgery. I bought heaps of groceries, drinks, non perishable stuff to stock up prior to my revision surgery. Felt like I was one of those doomsday preppers you see on tv.

Do you have a date for your new surgery ?

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 01:40:19 PM »
April 2nd.  Doctor said I am no more likely to hurt myself than if I was never injured in the first place.  Already scheduled some vacation time and the ability to work from home for the month of April.  Fortunately it is my left leg so I should be driving as soon as I get the immobilizer off.  Knowing what to expect is certainly a relief.
Surgery 12/21/13

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »
Yesterday I went to a different orthopedic to get a 2nd opinion.  He basically confirmed what the surgeon told me.  I don't "need" a 2nd surgery but if I "want" to do certain activities (Bowling...) I will "want" to get the surgery.  His description of the issue was pretty much identical to the surgeons and when I asked about the tendon not attaching properly he said it does occasionally happen. 

So the surgery for April 2nd is still a go...
Surgery 12/21/13

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 04:24:13 PM »
So tomorrow I am having a 2nd surgery to repair the left tendon that didn't heal properly.  This is the primary reason the strength in that leg was just not coming back.  They drilled 3 holes to attached the tendon in 3 spots and the center one didn't take (or I tore it, I don't think I'll ever know for sure).  The MRI shows a big white spot where that part of the tendon was supposed to heal.  This is basically starting from scratch but with only 1 leg instead of both.  No wheelchair but crutches for a month while the leg is completely immobilized.  Then back to braces, PT and all of that other fun stuff.  This does mean shorts and no underwear (TMI?) for a month which is a small plus.  Hoping all goes well.

Thanks for all of the support since I found this group.

Good Luck to all of you who are still going through this.

Take Care.
Surgery 12/21/13

Offline jcolarelli

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 02:33:55 PM »
Hope all went well yesterday, destroyed.

Good luck and godspeed with the recovery.  Maybe I'll see you at PT soon  :)
RQT "near complete" tear 01/11/15
MRI to confirm 01/23/15
Surgery to Repair 02/10/15
PT began on 03/20/15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »
According to the Dr. the surgery went very well.  He was able to rescue the original tendon and attach it.  I am already able to straighten the left leg better than before the 2nd surgery.  I now longer need to use crutches but I am wearing the braces fully locked in case I fall.  I am allowed to take it off to shower/bath.  According to the Dr. I will be getting rid of the brace completely on May 4th and be able to start PT.  The only "pain" I get is later in the day my leg gets tired from dragging around the brace all day. 

On another note for anyone in the Southern NJ (USA) area:  My 2nd surgery was done by a Dr. at the Rothman Institute and the 1st surgery was not.  This original Dr. was going to cut my tendon and basically start from scratch.  I don't know if he still would have done that after he got in there but I am glad the new Dr. didn't as this appears to allow for a much quicker recovery time frame.

Thanks for listening.

Surgery 12/21/13

Offline jcolarelli

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »
Great update, glad to hear it all went well.  My Dr. is from Rothman too, we should compare notes.   :D

I like the Dr but truly hate his PA....

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery this time!  Best of luck with PT.  My insurance has me capitated to Novacare. I use the Moorestown location (for the 2nd time, torn menisucs in 2013) and have had good experinces there if that means anything for you, not sure what coverage that you have.
MRI to confirm 01/23/15
PT began on 03/20/15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 05:38:52 PM »
P.T. starts today after seeing the Dr. last Thursday.  I have to break in a new therapist as my previous one is about 9 months pregnant. 

The OS "strongly" recommended that I keep the braces on most of the time.  It will take the sutures about 3 months to completely attach and that stress could cause them to tear.

Jcolarelli - I went to see Dr. Marchetto at the Rothman Institute.   My prior therapist is familiar with him and had good things to say.

Let's see how P.T. goes....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:55:01 PM by destroyedbothtendons »
Surgery 12/21/13

Offline jcolarelli

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »
Only 9 months?  No excuses, your rehab is at stake, haha.

Glad to hear everything went well.  I'm seeing Dr. Pepe at Rothman.  He did my meniscus repair in 2013, so I went back to him when this occurred.

Good luck with PT!
MRI to confirm 01/23/15
PT began on 03/20/15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 10:09:49 PM »
I survived my 1st week of P.T..  I actually feel pretty good other than some fatigue from the exercises.  Only really need to go twice a week as opposed to three for my last injury.  Only 1 leg so the exercises take 1/2 the time.  I am also about 1/2 way thru my 12 weeks of the brace.  This I can't wait to get for it to be gone. 

Good Luck to you all.

Thanks

Surgery 12/21/13

Offline bowlermk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
Hello all. As you can see from my screen name I am also a bowler. I am a member of the Professional Bowlers Association and used to a pretty decent bowler. I had my "mishap" on April 12 and the surgery the next day. I can now walk normally on flat surfaces, but stairs are still a problem. I live in NJ and commute to NY to work so I go up and down A LOT of stairs each day. It is getting easier but not fast enough for my taste. As for my bowling - I have started bowling again and will be bowling in the fall leagues. I am not 100% but at least I am able to throw the ball. The biggest problem is my left knee, the knee I slide on. I have bad arthritis in that knee and since I am using it to compensate for the injured knee, it is now giving me lots of pain. I take Advil and Tramadol and wear braces on both knees but I'm bowling. My PT was actually tailored toward getting me back on the lanes. I just wish someone would tell me when I will be 100%

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »
Bowlermk, like you I suffer from arthritis, and similarly have been suffering in the non injured knee, also hips, probably from change in gait. Don't know your age, but definitely a factor. I was 65 at time of injury.
   Good news is, even at my age, I was at one extreme end of the scale. Returned to work four days after surgery and resumed hiking at 6 weeks, uphill only. I was obviously very fortunate, but listen to your body, and your PT, and all is not doom and gloom.
  You can follow individuals stories by tapping on their names. :D
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013