Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee clicks when I walk  (Read 2016 times)

Offline bowlermk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
Knee clicks when I walk
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:38:54 PM »
I'm about 4 months out from my surgery for a ruptured quad tendon (complete tear). I am walking fine on flat surfaces but stairs are still difficult, especially down. For the last couple of weeks I have had clicking in my knee when I walk. It doesn't happen all the time, usually after sitting for extended periods. It doesn't cause pain but you can hear it and I can feel it. Does anyone know what this is? Is it normal?

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
Re: Knee clicks when I walk
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 09:49:40 PM »
Found the below on md-health.com.  I have had the same issue for well over a year.  Since I did both legs I can do it in stereo.  Both the Dr and PT said if there is no pain it isn't really anything to worry about (so I don't).  They both suggested the issue was with the IT band.  If you have squeamish friends/relatives you can use it to mess with them.  If you start feeling pain associated with this then I would suggest letting the OS know.

Unnecessary tissue or plica. There are a few conditions that can cause the knee to begin to click. Some people develop additional unnecessary tissue or plica around the knee. This tissue can then become trapped between parts of the joint, which will cause a clicking noise when you move.

Runner's knee. You may also be suffering from "runner's knee" a condition that is caused when the knee cap is out of line and not tracking properly along the femur. This is often caused by an injury or stress on the tibia, or the lower bone in your leg which protects our kneecap. If any of these bones come out of line, the knee may click when it is bent. You may also suffer runner's knee if the IT band which stabilizes the kneecap or your quad muscles are overworked.
Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

support