Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar tendinitis leading to rupture?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline TheEbae

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
Patellar tendinitis leading to rupture?
« on: May 26, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have patellar tendinitis of my right knee. I actually think it might be tendonosis now but that's beside the point.

Has anyone here had tendinitis and then a rupture because of it? I am so terrified of a rupture! Anything helpful I can do to prevent it? I am seeing a therapist on Thursday but I really do not want to risk anything. If I do indeed have tendonosis I am done with swimming.... That's what my parents have said. I can't keep tearing down my body. I am so young and should not be dealing with this many injuries. Plus, we have so much medical debt that we cannot afford another surgery if I have a rupture.

I know I am thinking in extremes but extremes are my life. Nothing is normal and nothing happens the way it's planned to. I am just trying to be proactive and cautious....

Thanks for any help or advice!

EBae

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:40:14 PM by TheEbae »
~The EBae~

11-12-14 MCL sprain
12-08-14 Plica Syndrome diagnosis
2-24-15 Plica and scar tissue removal surgery
4-20-15 Patellar Tendonitis onset

Offline bryce73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 38
Re: Patellar tendinitis leading to rupture?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 09:17:40 PM »
Hello,
from what I read, it seems that chronic tendinitis can indeed weaken the PT and lead to a rupture. Still, my guess is that your PT has to be in a bad state and that you have to sustain a hard shock for the PT to be torn. So IMHO, if you can heal your tendinitis and don't impose your knee brutal efforts you might not risk a rupture.

Offline x7erra

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 06:35:33 AM »
I had tendonitis for 14 years until my knee ruptured playing basketball.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
Hi x7erra

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru

Everybody with a knee injury has difficulty with stairs - this will reduce with time, so PATIENCE is required.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline hersh12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 10:27:42 PM »
@e7erra, from that comment and the other thread, it looks like you and I have similar timing.

@Ebae I ruptured my right PT when I was 15, 15 years ago.  The operating doc told me not to ever play bball again, as it would likely happen to my other knee.  Obviously, I disregarded this advice and continued to play and be generally active, and every once in a while I would jump/land and feel a great jolt of pain in my left (unruptured) knee.  This was surely tendonitis and small tears occurring and I would usually take several weeks off until the pain subsided.  It lived on borrowed time for 15 years until it decided to rupture but I think it was inevitable.

If you can, do everything in your power to take it easy.  I know that bands that wrap around your PT help by absorbing some of the shock that is sent through the PT when landing and jumping.  That said, when I ruptured #2 last year I was wearing a full knee sleeve, in the best shape of my life, with no tendonitis pain for probably over a year.