Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Travel advice for a gimp?  (Read 694 times)

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
Travel advice for a gimp?
« on: December 06, 2014, 06:45:09 AM »
Hi all,
I am off for 5 days for a work conference next week. My doctors advice is stay on the crutches because of all the walking required, ice like it's my job, and be sure to wear Compression stockings and tubigrip. Networking is a very important part of this trip too, so hanging in the hotel a lot probably won't happen. I have asked for wheelchair assistance in the airport.
Is there any other travel tricks that any of you have picked up during your injury experiences that you would like to share? Or any advice on surviving this conference without ending up with a giant knee at the end of the conference?
Thanks!
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
Re: Travel advice for a gimp?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:39:38 AM »
Aisle seat so that your injured side is towards the aisle (unless you're in business with a nice fully reclining sat :)). Check out seatguru.com.
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

Offline hopalong2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »
To make it easier to ice, I traveled with lots of ziploc freezer bags.  Flight attendants and bellmen were more than happy to fill them for me.  If your hotel room has a little freezer, a reusable gel pack in a sleeve works well.  I have one like this:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B3UQTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And carry lots of small bills for tipping the people in the airport who will push your wheelchair, as you might get handed off a lot from person to person. 
Safe travels!

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »
Perfect, thanks. I wasn't sure how I would do asking for ice on the plane...good to know they won't mind getting me some. I also forgot about the tipping thing. I would have felt like a huge jerk if I went with nothing to tip with. How did you manage your bags? Do they help with that too?
Keep the great advice coming!
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases