Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL & Meniscus Tear Advice  (Read 2105 times)

Offline waihoe87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL & Meniscus Tear Advice
« on: December 02, 2014, 12:04:19 PM »
Dear all,

I felt a sudden pop when I was playing basketball while doing just a simple step back motion. The day after I couldn't flex my knee and it was painful. However just after 2 days , I am able to flex fully and walk like normal just that with occasional knee giving away. After 2 weeks, the giving way become significantly lesser but squatting is still painful at the meniscus area. I did an MRI and doctor says its shows complete ACL tear. However when he did Lachman tear on my knee again, it was negative. Pivot shift was showing positive though.

Could it be possible that I have partial tear instead of full tear because I feel my knee is not that unstable apart from the pain which I think is mostly due to meniscus tear. He told me to monitor and do physio for 6 weeks and see.

Would like some advices whether if surgery is a must if I am to return to sports. What if I am quitting heavy sports and doing jogging instead.

Appreciate any sharing.

Thanks!

Offline tbuckets91

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL & Meniscus Tear Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
I see no one has replied to you, how are you doing now?

I sort of had a similar story but with a not so happy ending. I damaged my ACL really bad (heard the pop). The doctor did the tests you've mentioned and basically came up with the conclusion that some of the ACL fibers were still intact. I was told to rest and do PT. About 4 months after this, I looked and felt strong and PT so I gave basketball a shot finally. 2 minutes into the pick up game I blew my knee out, torn ACL, and torn lateral and medial meniscus, no MRI was even necessary. Anyway, my point to you is just do not RUSH back. Waiting an extra month or 2 is worthwhile if in the long run it is saving you a year of post op recovery.

Also, look into "ACL Prevention Exercises" on youtube. There's several videos on there I found helpful that I still do even after being out of surgery for a year and 10 months now. Just take the step back you did for example, doing lateral bounds (especially backwards) may be helpful to reducing the risk of doing it funny.

support