Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellar tendon rupture new  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Spoonsy21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar tendon rupture new
« on: November 27, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
On 1/11/14 I ruptured my right patellar tendon, from the base of the patellar with a few fragments of bone. I was playing rugby but there was nobody near me when it happened. Play had stopped and was pushing off with my right leg at the back, the sound was horrible and I hit the floor didn't know what on earth had happened.
I was operated on the day after at a hospital in Bucks UK, surgeon was happy with the repair , re attachment of tendon to patellar etc, and I was in a cast for 17 days, I am now in a hinged brace until Jan 6th (week extra due to new year). 0-30 degrees first 2 weeks, then 60 then 90
I am 42 and before the injury I was the fittest I had ever been as I was running 3-4 times a week.
Finding it really hard as I was so active and I also coach 2 rugby teams, can't drive but managing walk with aid of one crutch, not suffering from any pain just occasional ache and knee swells up if I spend a bit of time on my feet.
Off work due to the fact I have to catch trains and tubes to get there.
Reading other peoples stories has helped but I know I've got a very long way to go.
Not sure what will happen on the 6th Jan?
Will I be able to drive then?
Will I still where a brace of sorts?
What will be my course of Physio therapy? How often?
Will I be able to go back to work?

Sorry for the questions but forgot to ask my dr on my last appointment.

Thanks

Mike

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Patellar tendon rupture new
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 05:23:28 PM »

Hi Mike and welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru.

In response to your questions - the cast should be be removed in about six weeks after the operation, by this time the tendon will be on the way to healing - then starts the fun having having to have physio for quite some time as the idea is the stretch that tendon.

Having removed the cast, the ROM (range of  movement) will be between 30/40 ROM - then the next milestone is to get that range up to 90 ROM which takes up to 12/14 weeks.  The next mile stone is 12o ROM and anything over that is a bonus - have your good knee measured as a guidance as this should be in the region of 130/140ROM.

You dont need the cast or brace any more, but you must use the crutches until the PT downsizes you  to a stick.

Driving is out for about 3 months and you must not drive until the OS says it`s OK, otherwise you invalidate the car insurance.  Even then, you will need to have the drivers seat right back and you should give thought to changing to automatic. 

You should be able to return to work once you are out of plaster, but remember that your tendon is not healed as this takes 8/12 weeks - even then, wet leaves and snow,ice are a danger - so watch out for these dangers.  Take great care going up and downstairs -

In order to respond to your remaining questions, open up the link which I have included - this contains a valuable set of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru, and even then, keep asking questions and keep posting.

You are going to start a long road to recovery - six to twelve months of hard work as this is a rare type of sports injury.

Take care and start reading ...... p.s.  Ask your PT - have you seen this type of injury before?

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
Re: Patellar tendon rupture new
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 02:51:38 AM »
Mike, listen to what John has to say , he has been around for a long time. I would like to suggest however that you find a really competent Physiotherapist as soon as possible. My view is that once the surgery is complete the OS has done his part and should relinquish authority to the PT whose responsibility it is to get you back on your feet. Mine was first class and had me pedalling a bike at three weeks (RQT).  Each of us is different and you deserve the opportunity to progress as fast as possible. The longer you delay, the longer the road to recovery..
  With all due respect we need to keep up with the advances made in Rehabilitation Medicine.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013