Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New to the forum/major knee trauma  (Read 2852 times)

Offline scottyleighton

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: New to the forum/major knee trauma
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
Just an update as I am about 3 months post surgery. During surgery he confirmed that I had in fact dislocated my knee. My peroneal nerve was stretched over a foot as a result of dislocating it. Because it is stretched and not severed he said it has a shot of coming back but it's in God's hands. He also said I'm lucky to still have my leg below the knee apparently 30 percent of people have to have their leg amputated. So my injury is a hyper extension leading to knee dislocation resulting in the complete tearing of my acl, pcl, lcl, torn lateral meniscus, completely torn biceps femorus(a part of hamstring), completely torn poplitius tendon\muscle, partially torn mcl, and stretched peroneal nerve leading to a condition known as dropfoot. That's as much as I can remember off the top of my head. But anyway he repaired everything but my acl and hamstring. The surgery was a little under 5 hours. I started walking 3 weeks ago with a brace and an afo for my foot drop. Originally I was told I wouldn't walk until November. All things considered I feel much better than I thought I would. Ya I have pain sometimes and it does weird stuff but I'm only 3 months outve surgery and don't have an acl yet. I'm hopefully having my acl surgery in january. I have photos of my surgery which i wouldve liked to have posted but i cant figure it out. Just an update sorry if it's all over the place I'm posting on my phone and its tough to revise.

Offline POMBAL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: New to the forum/major knee trauma
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 05:39:13 PM »
Read your injury and recovery with interest.  Please update on the nerve coming back.
April 2013 I broke my knee - medial tibia fracture - after surgery and recovery discovered the footdrop, and have been in an AFO for at least a year now.  Had 3 EMGs, and one exploration of the nerve - the surgeon said there was still life but the EMG says otherwise.  Now waiting to see when he will do a tendon transfer.

Regards

support