Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Kneetoknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
Introducing myself
« on: March 15, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »
I'm thrilled to find this forum because I live in a remote area of Costa Rica and will not have access to PT. Initially, I experienced a luxation of my patella in August of last year. Stupidly, I didn't see a doctor and tried to do exerrcises on my own. Towards the end of February, I had a massive hematoma...boy was that fun going over bumpy roads to San Jose in a 4 hour car ride. At that point I would have let the surgeon cut off my leg. I had surgery on the 24th and I'm 3 weeks post op. My ligament had been totally ruptured and my surgeon had to clean out a lot of scar tissue. It was done under a spinal block and light sedation. I actually sensed the surgeon bending my knee to see that it could be done... I felt nothing but could hear the movement if that makes any sense. He told me later at the hotel he had tried it 3 times to check on the flexibility. I've read a lot of comments and don't find many people who had a cast but I do...for 6 weeks.  I'm 67 but have always been active. I ride and care for 4 horses and swim 40 minutes a day. (Yes, I am going stir crazy.) I have never experienced any pain post op and could bear weight after the surgery. I stayed overnight in the hotel at the hospital. Costa Rica does a lot of medical tourism. I went to stay with friends and my doctor visited me everyday. He is a friend of the family so I feel fortunate that he is not only my surgeon but my friend too. I didn't need the pain pills but I took the anti inflammatory, antibiotic, and anti coagulant. At 3 weeks post op, I am back at my remote finca looking longingly at my lap pool. Doc has told me I can swim as soon as the cast is off. I will be doing all my exercises at home without a physio therapist which isn't ideal but I will have help in the house for a month. The only discomfort is the cast which rubs on my heel. I wear a high boot but have to keep hiking up the cast. If anyone has used a pool for exercises and swimming, I'd love to hear about it. My cast comes off In 3 weeks. Presently, I do 4 sets of leg raises from a sitting position, with full extension of course, in the cast. Unless you count sitting on the toilette to pee with a straight leg. He told me no more then that. I am allowed to walk and bear weight as long as I have no pain. So far so good. I realize there are as many different surgeries and therapies as there are patients but I would like to compare notes with those on a more conservative recovery process. I don't plan going to the Olympics this year and I'm very afraid of reinjuring the tendon. Comments welcome.]I'm thrilled to find this forum because I live in a remote area of Costa Rica and will not have access to PT. Initially, I experienced a luxation of my patella in August of last year. Stupidly, I didn't see a doctor and tried to do exerrcises on my own. Towards the end of February, I had a massive hematoma...boy was that fun going over bumpy roads to San Jose in a 4 hour car riide. At that point I would have let the surgeon cut off my leg. I had surgery on the 24th and I'm 3 weeks post op. My ligament had been totally ruptured and my surgeon had to clean out a lot of scar tissue. It was done under a spinal block and light sedation. I actually sensed the surgeon bending my knee to see that it could be done... I felt nothing but could hear the movement if that makes any sense. He told me later at the hotel he had tried it 3 times to check on the flexibility. I've read a lot of comments and don't find many people who had a cast but I do...for 6 weeks.  I'm 67 but have always been active. I ride and care for 4 horses and swim 40 minutes a day. (Yes, I am going stir crazy.) I have never experienced any pain post op and could bear weight after the surgery. I stayed overnight in the hotel at the hospital. Costa Rica does a lot of medical tourism. I went to stay with friends and my doctor visited me everyday. He is a friend of the family so I feel fortunate that he is not only my surgeon but my friend too. I didn't need the pain pills but I took the anti inflammatory, antibiotic, and anti coagulant. At 3 weeks post op, I am back at my remote finca looking longingly at my lap pool. Doc has told me I can swim as soon as the cast is off. I will be doing all my exercises at home without a physio therapist which isn't ideal but I will have help in the house for a month. The only discomfort is the cast which rubs on my heel. I wear a high boot but have to keep hiking up the cast. If anyone has used a pool for exercises and swimming, I'd love to hear about it. My cast comes off In 3 weeks. Presently, I do 4 sets of leg raises from a sitting position, with full extension of course, in the cast. Unless you count sitting on the toilette to pee with a straight leg. He told me no more then that. I am allowed to walk and bear weight as long as I have no pain. So far so good. I realize there are as many different surgeries and therapies as there are patients but I would like to compare notes with those on a more conservative recovery process. I don't plan going to the Olympics this year and I'm very afraid of reinjuring the tendon. Comments and advice appreciated.

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
Using the pool to stand and gain that knee stability and feeling again are a great way to recover.  There was a fellow named Dan on the main thread that used the pool more than I and it works great.  Best of luck with the recovery.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline Kneetoknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 09:09:26 PM »
Thanks Tom, I thought the pool should be helpful. When you started did you swim? Or just walk. And how long did you do it for? Normally, I swim 40 minutes but I don't want to over do it.