Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Climber

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:56:45 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm a 43 old male, normally very active, passionate about the outdoors, enjoying rock climbing, hill walking, mountaineering and road biking as often as I can.  A recent simple slip and resulting RPT has just changed all that.

Just over a week ago on 11th October I had finished a day of rock climbing in the Lake District (UK) and was walking down the fell-side with a relatively heavy rucksack when I slipped on wet grass. Unfortunately my left leg folded under me and my knee impacted with a rock as I hit the ground. The instant severe pain told me I'd sustained more than a simple bang to the knee.  Although with a friend we were out of mobile phone reception and darkness was falling, so decided it best to pick myself up and continue the walk down.  Not something
I would want to repeat in those circumstances!

Two A&E departments later I had been diagnosed with a RPT and admitted to Lancaster Hospital.  Surgery was carried out on 12th October to reattach the tendon and make additional repairs where it had further torn.  The NHS OS was helpful but not overly forthcoming about the operation, I was told holes were drilled into the knee cap and sutures used to anchor the tendon back in place. I was discharged from hospital the day after surgery. My first follow up appointment will be Friday 24th where I hope to learn more about the surgery and rehab.

So my first week post surgery has been a challenging one.  I live alone and it's been a bit of a struggle not least dealing with the constant pain.  The NHS provided a supply of codeine and paracetamol which at best takes edge off.  My lower left leg is also now very swollen which I guess is normal after this kind of injury / surgery?  So been icing regularly which seems to help.  Hoping week two will be a little easier, wondering what other folks experience has been?

That's my story so far, hope you don't mind me sharing it with you,

David.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »
Hi David

Welcome to the RPT thread of KneeGuru - you have found the best source of information, as the next few months will not be rosy and you will need about six months to reach reasonable recovery.

I suggest that you click on the undermentioned thread, which will give you a number of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru -  you will be joining a number of current RPT patients on this thread, and strongly suggest that you also read some of the previous posts on this thread.

Were you placed into a plastercast or just a kneebrace. - this will remain on for about 6/8 weeks - DO not push it as the tendon takes about 12/15 weeks to heal and you will be doing rehab for quite a number of weeks.   Your first milestone after having the brace/off is  45/60ROM (range of movement)
and then the next milestone is 90 ROM.

Remember PATIENCE is required in the first few weeks, watch out for wet leaves 

Keep posting and ASK questions before your next visit to the hospital.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Climber

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks very much for the reply.  I was placed in a 'Cricket Pad Splint' initially at A&E which I'm still in now.  As you say patience will be key over the next few weeks.  I'll be reading up as much as possible to learn how to best deal with this injury.

I would be keen to know a realistic timescale before I can drive again, or at least other RPT patients experience here  - having  injured my left leg I guess it will be quite some time before I can depress the clutch pedal safely.  Being able to drive is quite a concern with respect to being able to work.

I'll be weary of those wet leaves, plenty about at the moment!

David.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »
Hi David

In response to your worry on driving - it`s going to be at least three months and even then with the drivers seat right back and even then only with the Ok from your Consultant otherwise you will invalidate your insurance policy -  After one week in a plaster cast, I applied for a disabilty badge which later came in handy for parking in obscure places like Tesco`s - Having just applied to renew it after twelve years, Salford Council would not renew it following very new and strict regulations.

I changed my car to an automatic as I did my right knee in, and never looked back - likewise, you will find walking up and downstairs a bind, and I took the decision to sell my detached house and waited to purchase a ground floor flat - an excellent decision on hindsight - that was twelve years ago.

I still have a ROM of 103, as against my good leg of 141 ROM - as my Consultant always stated, you can live as long as you reach 120ROM, but you will not be able to run after a bus.

As I have mentioned before, continue to ask questions. You will learn that you have sustained a very rare injury, better known as a sports injury.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

p.s.   I was in Bowness and Hawkshead a few weeks ago.

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »
Hi David

I should have mentioned that the correct thread for a RPTinjury is "" Ruptured Patella Tendon Surgery "

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support