Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondritis   some questions, please  (Read 1295 times)

Offline alexthe_saracen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Osteochondritis   some questions, please
« on: February 09, 2004, 08:34:57 PM »
Hi, i,m a 15 3/4 year old rugby player in the UK. have been having pain and problems with left knee for some months. Referred by my club today , had X rays and have been diagnosed as having Osteochondritis.Certainly explains my current running style    I look like i,m on the deck of a ship!

Am being sent for MRI scan with surgery to follow that.I love the game , play at high standard and am glad that if I have to miss a couple of months at least it is at the end of the season.

Questions are :  how long approx rehab, should i continue to swim train for fitness and the big one, is full recovery a realistic target in 7 months  (new season Sept)

many thanks Alex

Offline alexthe_saracen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Osteochondritis   some questions, please
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 08:34:57 PM »
Hi, i,m a 15 3/4 year old rugby player in the UK. have been having pain and problems with left knee for some months. Referred by my club today , had X rays and have been diagnosed as having Osteochondritis.Certainly explains my current running style    I look like i,m on the deck of a ship!

Am being sent for MRI scan with surgery to follow that.I love the game , play at high standard and am glad that if I have to miss a couple of months at least it is at the end of the season.

Questions are :  how long approx rehab, should i continue to swim train for fitness and the big one, is full recovery a realistic target in 7 months  (new season Sept)

many thanks Alex

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: Osteochondritis   some questions, please
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 04:20:25 PM »
Hi Alex,

The MRI should give your OS a better idea of how bad the OCD is and what they need to do to fix it.  At your age you have a better chance that it will heal without needing surgery, or if you do need surgery, that it will heal without too many problems later.

Rehab will depend a lot on how bad things look and what they have to do to fix it.  Your OS should be able to give you a better idea of how long it will take and what activities are safe to do in the meantime
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 04:20:25 PM »
Hi Alex,

The MRI should give your OS a better idea of how bad the OCD is and what they need to do to fix it.  At your age you have a better chance that it will heal without needing surgery, or if you do need surgery, that it will heal without too many problems later.

Rehab will depend a lot on how bad things look and what they have to do to fix it.  Your OS should be able to give you a better idea of how long it will take and what activities are safe to do in the meantime
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline alexthe_saracen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 08:52:07 PM »
Thanks for reply. You are right, i'll just have to wait and see. i'll post again when i have the MRI results. Best regards, Alex.

Offline alexthe_saracen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 08:52:07 PM »
Thanks for reply. You are right, i'll just have to wait and see. i'll post again when i have the MRI results. Best regards, Alex.

support