Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: First ACL tear- Patella or Cadaver??  (Read 2911 times)

Offline KateB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
First ACL tear- Patella or Cadaver??
« on: February 09, 2004, 08:31:54 PM »
I tore my ACL on January 2nd while skiing.  I play lacrosse at college.  Although I have to miss my season this year- I want to be back and playing for next Fall... I am really confused about whether to use my patella tendon or a cadaver ligament.  I have heard pros and cons for both.  Does anyone have any advice??  Thanks for the help!!

Offline KateB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
First ACL tear- Patella or Cadaver??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 08:31:54 PM »
I tore my ACL on January 2nd while skiing.  I play lacrosse at college.  Although I have to miss my season this year- I want to be back and playing for next Fall... I am really confused about whether to use my patella tendon or a cadaver ligament.  I have heard pros and cons for both.  Does anyone have any advice??  Thanks for the help!!

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: First ACL tear- Patella or Cadaver??
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 09:03:03 PM »
Find out what your OS specializes then, some have done more of one type than the other.

Since you are a college athlete I would highly recommend that you stick with autografts rather than allografts.  Allos do have a slightly higher failure rate and don't hold up as well over time.  Most team physicians will not even offer them as a choice.  

Some OSs are hesistant to use ipsilateral patellar tendon autografts in females since there is already an increase risk of patella-femoral dysfunctions.  However, the same does not hold true for contralateral autografts, which are very similar to allografts except they have a much higher success rate.  Hamstring autografts are the second most common graft, but there has been some concern with loosening.  This can be minimized by proper graft tensioning and fixation.  Another option is using the quad tendon.  This is not widely used but I have seen great results with it, and it greatly reduces the incidence of anterior knee pain.  

In general, it is not the graft choice that will dictate your outcome, but rather the amount of time and effort you put into the rehab.  The proper protocal is also fairly important.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 09:03:03 PM »
Find out what your OS specializes then, some have done more of one type than the other.

Since you are a college athlete I would highly recommend that you stick with autografts rather than allografts.  Allos do have a slightly higher failure rate and don't hold up as well over time.  Most team physicians will not even offer them as a choice.  

Some OSs are hesistant to use ipsilateral patellar tendon autografts in females since there is already an increase risk of patella-femoral dysfunctions.  However, the same does not hold true for contralateral autografts, which are very similar to allografts except they have a much higher success rate.  Hamstring autografts are the second most common graft, but there has been some concern with loosening.  This can be minimized by proper graft tensioning and fixation.  Another option is using the quad tendon.  This is not widely used but I have seen great results with it, and it greatly reduces the incidence of anterior knee pain.  

In general, it is not the graft choice that will dictate your outcome, but rather the amount of time and effort you put into the rehab.  The proper protocal is also fairly important.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 01:15:07 AM »
Hey !

I would definitely as suggested above find out which your OS specializes in and then take it from there.
I am 6 days post op acl recon using the patella graft. That was what my OS specialized in so that is what I went with.
Good luck !

Dawn
left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 01:15:07 AM »
Hey !

I would definitely as suggested above find out which your OS specializes in and then take it from there.
I am 6 days post op acl recon using the patella graft. That was what my OS specialized in so that is what I went with.
Good luck !

Dawn
left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

Offline scottrayden

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 11:40:16 PM »
I have had two ACL surgeries. The first was from my hamstring. My doctor said that he does not like to use the Patellar tendon because there are to many risks with complications.

My hamstring ACL ended up busting again playing soccer.

My second was from a cadaber. It was way better. I would definitely recomend that one.

I just tore my mendiscus last week and had surgery. He checked my ACL and said it was doing GREAT>

Offline scottrayden

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 11:40:16 PM »
I have had two ACL surgeries. The first was from my hamstring. My doctor said that he does not like to use the Patellar tendon because there are to many risks with complications.

My hamstring ACL ended up busting again playing soccer.

My second was from a cadaber. It was way better. I would definitely recomend that one.

I just tore my mendiscus last week and had surgery. He checked my ACL and said it was doing GREAT>