Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Dislocated my patella  (Read 714 times)

Offline glassballoon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dislocated my patella
« on: November 02, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »
I'm sure this has been posted many times but I'm new to this forum and going through a bit of a crisis with this so please help if you can :'(

I'm 18 years old, never had any trouble with my knees, no history of knee problems in my family. On Wednesday night (or Thurs morning?) I fell in a nightclub on hurt my knee really badly. All day Thursday and Friday I laid up in bed, leg elevated, cold compress, knee bandage on it, and walked anywhere with one crutch. It got less painful over time and yesterday (Saturday) it felt a lot less painful - I went to work and stood on my feet for 9 hours wearing just the knee bandage and barely had a bother with it. It was still stiff to move but I only needed the crutch getting to and from work.

This morning I went to A&E because the swelling hadn't subsided and I was getting a bit fed up of the stiffness so I thought it was better getting checked. Turns out my patella had popped out when I fell and the doctor popped it back into place. Now I thought GREAT, it's back in place and that's that done and dusted, super. Then he explained about the plaster of paris and mentioned physio and surgery and I literally couldn't believe it.

So I'm now in plaster of paris until Friday and then maybe for 4 weeks after that. This feels completely unnecessary to me having had no history of knee injuries and being able to walk/stand okay with it while it was dislocated!! I feel completely debilitated with this for the week let alone 4 weeks of this. I don't want to be confined to the house unable to do anything and I don't feel like I need to be!

Would it be worth it to get a second opinion from my regular GP tomorrow or would he not know anything about it? Does it sound serious enough that I would need physio/surgery in the long run? Any stories/words of advice would be a great help as this is all completely new to me, please and thank you :(

Offline Fiba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Dislocated my patella
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:41:11 AM »
I'm sure this has been posted many times but I'm new to this forum and going through a bit of a crisis with this so please help if you can :'(

I'm 18 years old, never had any trouble with my knees, no history of knee problems in my family. On Wednesday night (or Thurs morning?) I fell in a nightclub on hurt my knee really badly. All day Thursday and Friday I laid up in bed, leg elevated, cold compress, knee bandage on it, and walked anywhere with one crutch. It got less painful over time and yesterday (Saturday) it felt a lot less painful - I went to work and stood on my feet for 9 hours wearing just the knee bandage and barely had a bother with it. It was still stiff to move but I only needed the crutch getting to and from work.

This morning I went to A&E because the swelling hadn't subsided and I was getting a bit fed up of the stiffness so I thought it was better getting checked. Turns out my patella had popped out when I fell and the doctor popped it back into place. Now I thought GREAT, it's back in place and that's that done and dusted, super. Then he explained about the plaster of paris and mentioned physio and surgery and I literally couldn't believe it.

So I'm now in plaster of paris until Friday and then maybe for 4 weeks after that. This feels completely unnecessary to me having had no history of knee injuries and being able to walk/stand okay with it while it was dislocated!! I feel completely debilitated with this for the week let alone 4 weeks of this. I don't want to be confined to the house unable to do anything and I don't feel like I need to be!

Would it be worth it to get a second opinion from my regular GP tomorrow or would he not know anything about it? Does it sound serious enough that I would need physio/surgery in the long run? Any stories/words of advice would be a great help as this is all completely new to me, please and thank you :(

Only a doctor or a physiotherapist can tell you if you need surgery or physio, not the forum. Maybe they will suggest a brace or stretches or exercises to strengthen your muscles around the knee. But you would have to talk to a doctor or physio for that.