Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 12 weeks post 60% lateral menisectomy  (Read 946 times)

Offline onceuponatime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
12 weeks post 60% lateral menisectomy
« on: November 03, 2014, 04:42:01 AM »
Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm a 33-year-old guy. I'm 5'11"; 175 lbs. I remember accidentally banging one of my knees against a stone bench. I had deep, short-lived pain (improved within 15 minutes, resolved the next day). The problem is, I don't remember exactly when or even which knee this was.

Anyway, exactly one year ago, I was sleeping on my left side on my Tempurpedic mattress when I planted my left foot and flipped onto my right side. I felt a tearing sensation with pain. I was having pain, difficulty standing/walking and mechanical symptoms, which slowly improved. I started wearing a compression sleeve in December, which helped. January wasn't bad. I went on a date to the zoo in February and was in significant pain the next day. I saw an OS in March. MRI revealed horizontal lateral meniscus tear with parameniscal cyst. I came on here and read horror stories about lateral menisectomies. I saw Dr. ElAttrache (repaired Kobe's achilles) in April. He thought the cyst was causing the pain and recommended ultrasound aspiration and PRP with Dr. Yoon. It was unclear if the cyst was actually aspirated, but it seemed to help at first. In May, I was at a volunteer event and stood for a couple hours straight. I felt a slight giving way? sensation and had to sit down. I limped out of there. After that, I could no longer do stairs and my knee started popping when standing. I followed-up with Dr. ElAttrache, who leaned towards menisectomy but painted a grim picture either way. I even tried cupping, which was strange. I also followed-up with Dr. Yoon, who recommended another another PRP injection ($900) and injecting bone marrow from my hip ($3000). I opted for 4 weeks of PT, which helped the most. However, I was still experiencing intermittent pain and mechanical symptoms. I still couldn't do stairs. I bit the bullet and scheduled surgery with Dr. Cole in August. I started PT at 3 weeks post-op and am still in it. There have been days where my knee felt better than before the surgery, but they seem fewer and farther between.

Right now, my knee starts hurting while standing in place for even 1 minute in the morning (improves a little in the afternoon) and walking for more than a few blocks. Sometimes, it hurts even while sitting. I went to the gym for the first time for 3 days straight (Sunday, Monday and Tuesday), which seems to have exacerbated this. The primary pain feels like it's coming from where the meniscus was removed. I started massaging that area hard on Friday and it felt like I broke up some scar tissue. It felt better on Saturday, but I broke the skin and now have to wait until it heals until I try again with oil. I'm also having painless clicking on every step, which forces me to limp.

Any insight or recommendations would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:18:25 AM by onceuponatime »

Offline onceuponatime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 12 weeks post 60% lateral menisectomy
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:16:37 AM »
I followed up with Dr. Cole. He gave me a steroid shot and ordered a MRI. I haven't seen the report, but his PA told me it's pretty clean with respect to post-op changes, no additional findings than what they expected, the overlying cartilage is intact and no subchondral edema.

My knee feels a little better since my last post, but not by much. I had surrendered to some pain and not being able to run or squat, with probable arthritis down the line. But I can't even stand, walk or ride a stationary bike without pain. To make matters worse, I've developed sciatica. I also think I'm dealing with patellar maltracking (my pre-op MRI revealed mild chondromalacic changes affecting the patellofemoral compartment diffusely). I know people are going through much worse, but this is devastating. I regret having surgery. Wish me luck

Offline onceuponatime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:24:49 AM »
I listened to an interview a while ago with someone who went through a difficult and protracted recovery from surgery. He said that [while he was in the midst of suffering and thinking it would be a part of his life] he could have approached the situation one of two ways. He could have asked why me, which is the wrong question because there's no answer. He said if you ask the wrong question, you get the wrong answer. So he asked the right question. He said, now this is the situation. I'm not going to sit here and assign blame. It's my responsibility, my environment. I've created whatever's around me right now, in my life. So the power lies within me, to also change it. If you assign blame, you give away the power. If someone else has done something bad in your life, then only that person can come and make it okay. The power is gone. You take the power back, he took the power back in his hands. If your situation is bad and you keeping telling yourself it's all good (trying to be positive), you're fighting with the part of your brain that knows it's bad. The way to become positive is through evidence. He acknowledged the bad things in his life and then looked for the good things (that's there, I have that right now, at least that's something, I have that, I have that, etc.). He collected and focused on the things he could have gratitude for. Through that, he saw evidence that it's wasn't all that bad and he was focusing too much on the bad itself. He looked at his past and knew how many times he thought life would be impossible and that he couldn't go on, but came out of it. It looked bigger and even more impossible this time, but he said that's the fun of life (roller coaster analogy). He also said that you can never really tell what the future holds. He said living in anticipation, assuming things are going to go in the negative way is something we're all conditioned to believe. He said the only thing that worked for him was to not sit and think about it, but to keep going. He told himself to take that leap of faith and see what happens. That there's a universe that's watching and he's going to do what's best in his capacity as a human being. One day, it disappeared.

I was having trouble applying this philosophy and stressing out my mom, so I agreed to text her at least one positive thing that I do each day. I have a feeling this will help. Good luck

Offline onceuponatime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:31:52 AM »
Brothers and sisters,

Me again. Update time. Ready? I'm doing much better! I have days where I can stand/walk almost pain free, albeit differently. I can ride a stationary bike, I can do a seated leg press and I can do most machines at the gym. I even danced a little a couple times and tried running a little (on the grass). It was uncomfortable, but not painful per say. The sciatica's settled down as well, although flares up occasionally. The time I feel both the knee and back/sciatica the most is right before it rains. Other than that, I'm grateful for being able to live a somewhat normal life. I just came back from London, where I had to haul a carry-on up and down long flights of stairs at various tube stations around the city. Although it was uncomfortable at times, it was doable. I can't pinpoint exactly what helped. But I would say a combination of spirituality, vitamin D, family, functional manual therapy, exercise, time and stretching. I even tried electroacupuncture if you want to give that a shot. The human body is incredible, but what's more incredible is the spirit inside. There's light at the end of the tunnel. I feel like I will improve more. Please bless me