Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL Surgery soon!!!!  (Read 652 times)

Offline Bluehose11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL Surgery soon!!!!
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »
Ok, I am freaking out! Quite anxious over this whole procedure. I have done my homework and understand the procedure and the rehabilitation.  My question is my OS wants me to be Non-weight bearing for 4 weeks- this does not sound good to me . I am living in a foreign country and speak german but not "medical" german.  I have to ask the OS about all the pain meds and PT but the communication barrier is killing me-
What is the non weight bearing average???? Is there one? I have 9 months left on my tour of duty here and I am going to be rehabilitating for all of those.......Can anyone help??? Thanks for any and all offerings!!!!

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: MPFL Surgery soon!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:11:33 PM »
Hi
I had mpfl reconstruction, Ttt, and Microfracture. So slightly different procedure wise.
Pain wise wasn't too bad, didn't need strong pain relief coped fine with ibuprofen/paracetomol. Morphine & codeine at bedtime on first night only,
I was non weight bearing for just over 4 weeks and in a hinged brace at 0-90 degrees, which I assume is normal. I have to gradually increase weight bearing and wean out of brace. They want me to aim to be crutch and brace free by 12 weeks.
Hope this info helps. Emma
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:14:38 PM by ema_b85 »
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline kchan808

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: MPFL Surgery soon!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
Non weight bearing for 4 weeks will set your range of motion back. I was on crutches the next day and allowed weight bearing. Bending and heels slides to get the swelling down so you can get the range back is important.