Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL Surgery imminent - Recovery time  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Rasput01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL Surgery imminent - Recovery time
« on: October 29, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »
Hi All,

It my first time posting on here , but I will be setting up a post op diary soon.
I am scheduled to have MPFL reconstruction (hamstring) surgery on 29/11/14. Apart from feeling fairly nervous about the surgery (shouldn't have watched the procedure on YouTube), I am also fairly concerned about recovery times.
I am aware that everyone recovers at different speeds but would be interested in anyones opinion/experience on recovery times from the operation. I am 39, male and injured my knee playing rugby.

Cheers,

R

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: MPFL Surgery imminent - Recovery time
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »
Hi,
I've not had the exact same procedure as your scheduled for, I've had Ttt and mpfl reconstruction using hamstring.
I discussed with my os prior to my surgery about doing mpfl recon without the Ttt and my os advised approx 3-4 weeks recovery, but the procedure I went with (Ttt & mpfl Reconstruction) recovery is 3-4+ months.
I had my operation under spinal and can honestly say I felt nothing and you are totally unaware of what they are doing. Pain wise after op I didn't really have much pain, codeine and oral morphine first night then para/ibuprofen only for approx 10 days.
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:30:52 AM by ema_b85 »
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline Rasput01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MPFL Surgery imminent - Recovery time
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:21:18 AM »
Thank you Ema,

Having looked through all of the paperwork, the official description of the operation is:

An arthroscopy to correct bearing surface damage and, in addition to this, reconstruction of the MPFL.

R