Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PCL Recon and OATS Problems  (Read 560 times)

Offline jal99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PCL Recon and OATS Problems
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:49:10 PM »
Hi all, I have used this site to gather much information in the past but am now needing some specifics on a couple of conditions.

First of all, I am a 28 year old male who underwent PCL Reconstruction and OATS (Autograft) transfer near the end of August 2014.  So, I am about nine weeks out of surgery.  I believe my original injury was a direct blow to me knee from a boulder as I was swinging on a rope swing (was supposed to clear the ground and land in the river).  This was ten years ago and because I had no insurance, all that was done were x-rays and they said nothing was broken. 

The summer of 2013 came around and I had a scope done on the opposite knee and had coverage to look at the injured knee from ten years ago.  So they went in and found a small defect (6mm x 6mm) and performed a debridement to clean it up but didn't elect to replace or repair the cartilage.  After the surgery, things were worse than before and the pain was always there as I walked.  I went from doctor to doctor and tried every imaginable remedy with no luck.  Was told I just needed to restrengthen my quad, which was tough to do because of the pain.  It was fairly strong anyhow.  Finally, I was referred to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN to one of the best knee surgeons in the country (US) and he figured out instantly that I had a chronically deficient PCL - as bad as could be.  This is probably what helped eat away the cartilage (along with the original blow).

Back to now, the surgery went well (the docs said) and I began recovery.  It wasn't an easy process and I struggled to gain my flexion.  I went in for my six week checkup (at 7 weeks), and was told I would have two weeks of intense PT to try gaining ROM (was at and still around the 75-80 degree mark) otherwise doc will have to intervene (LOA and MUA).  The PCL looked great and I have checked it out with tests and agree that the PCL reconstruction was a success.  I haven't gained much ROM since then and see him tomorrow.  I have been concerned about what to expect (I am quite fit and young so I know I have that on my side).  What does recovery look like for the LOA and MUA??

Lastly, the two plugs that were taken from my knee and placed in the defective area (medial femoral condyle) seem to be sticking out quite a ways, and today I just pushed on the protruding area and the plugs seems to slide back in and end up flush!!! This has scared the heck out of me as I wonder if they failed.  The pain I experienced prior to surgery is the same pain I feel now in the defective area, maybe even worse now.  The cadaver plugs that filled the donor site are questionable too as one showed up as prominent on the x ray at the 7 week checkup.  I know that's a lot so sorry to make anyone read that much but I wanted to cover all events and determinants so that there weren't many questions.  I was NWB for 7 weeks and used a CPM for that time.  I also had home exercises and wasn't overly vigilant, but did comply for the most part.

Thanks in advance!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:50:09 AM by jal99 »

Offline jal99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: PCL Recon and OATS Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:06:57 AM »
I guess to sum things up I'd really like to know what to expect with a lysis of adhesions and manipulation under anesthesia, given the above story... I'd also like to hear any thoughts on the cartilage plugs and whether or not they would be able to move around at 9 weeks postop, and still have the potential to heal correctly...

Thanks,

Jay

support