Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help-do I have an infection?  (Read 3571 times)

Offline MrsMc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help-do I have an infection?
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
Hi,

I hope someone might be able to help me.

I am 9 days post op following a trochleoplasty on my right knee.  Following surgery the physio pushed me quite hard and I got a massive haematoma so they kept me in for an extra 2 days.  It's is still swollen and I noticed over the last two days that a boil was growing under the dressing (towards the edge, so not right on the wound) I went to get the wound checked today (at the local urgent care centre as my go nurse wasn't available) and they lanced (burst the boil/blister) and changed the dressing to a paper type one (non-waterproof). All seemed fine though it's still stiff and very swollen. Most days since the op I have felt a little quesy but for the last 2/3 days I've felt worse. Hot one minute and freezing the next. Kind of flu like symptoms really but no temperature. The nurse who lanced it today told me to have it checked again on Monday.  Feeling really rough now and I'm worry it's something to do with the wound.

Anyone experienced anything like this? I would be so grateful for some advice.

Many thanks
Tx
Right knee dislocation October 2012.  Slipped in the kitchen 4 days after the birth of my second child.
Arthroscopy Lateral release July 2013
Arthroscopy feb 2014
Due to have trochleoplasty October 2014

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Help-do I have an infection?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:32:58 PM »
Different circumstances, in February, I sustained an injury to my shin in a road accident which caused a massive haematoma (around the size of a large grapefruit) where my lag struck the bike frame hard.  This got infected and had to be surgically evacuated.  They tried first in the emergency department using a local anaesthetic but it was so painful as the anaesthetic didn't take, that they couldn't remove all of the clot and over the subsequent few days the infection worsened despite strong oral antibiotics. I had to be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics and surgery under general the following day. 
I still have bruising and a very painful lump of scar tissue now (and the surgeon reckons it could be another year before it heals properly)

My advice based on my albeit different experience is to contact your surgeon asap and make an emergency appointment.  If not, go back to the hospital and voice your concerns.  If it needs to be cleaned out properly, it really needs to be done asap so their is no risk of the infection spreading, especially to the bone.

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:40:05 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline MrsMc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Help-do I have an infection?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »
Thanks very much for your reply.

I have had two wound checks over the last 4 days and all seems fine now. Phew!

Thanks again
Right knee dislocation October 2012.  Slipped in the kitchen 4 days after the birth of my second child.
Arthroscopy Lateral release July 2013
Arthroscopy feb 2014
Due to have trochleoplasty October 2014

support