Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Follow up appointment schatzker vi  (Read 831 times)

Finnthekid

Follow up appointment schatzker vi
« on: October 24, 2014, 01:26:06 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm in week seven of a schatzker vi and my first follow up appointment is on Monday.
It's in a busy public hospital, I've been told I won't see the actual operating surgeon ever and the medical team neglected to prescribe blood thinners which led to a pulmonary embolism. So basically I'm getting a low standard of care. I expect the same on Monday so please help me be prepared for this, I have massive pain in the knee joint and acl, I feel confident there's damage but haven't been told, why?
1. What scans or xrays should I expect.
2. What physical therapy should I expect and when should it start.
3. Why have I been left in the dark about damage to the joint and ligaments, is this standard practice
4. I have a thumbnail size bone protruding just under my skin two inches below the skin where the break was. I noticed when the swelling went down, it is causing a lot of pain with rubbing etc, what happens with this

Please help thank you

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Follow up appointment schatzker vi
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:53:14 AM »
Hi There:  Sorry about your injury.  This is a very complicated fracture and requires a skilled surgeon to accommodate you.   The rehab is long(6 months)  There is a very good chance you will need surgery  Is there any way you could get to a place with a  higher level of care.  You will most likely need x-rays, MRI or  more likely a CT scan with dye with this high level fracture.  I don't know what country your are in but you should not be left in the dark about your condition and is no way standard procedure.  Is there perhaps a knowledgeable person such as a doctor's assistant, nurse, social worker, spokesperson  that could help with your concerns and put your mind at ease.    Sometimes the Drs. are so busy that they don't communicate no matter where you are but this sounds ridiculous.  If you don't have ligament injuries or meniscus injuries you can be treated non-surgically with a brace and non weight bearing for 3 months or so then PT for at least 3 months.  If you need surgery and sounds like you do, you should be visited by a physical therapist day after surgery and sent home with a  brace, crutches and PT instructions.   Also make sure after surgery you have blood thinners to take for at least 4weeks if you are not already on them to prevent a recurrence of PE.  Get very clear instructions on that as well as physical therapy (very important).   Since you have already had a pulmonary embolis due to neglect and can't talk to your surgeon before surgery, I would get myself out of there if at all possible.   Best of Luck;LAS 

Finnthekid

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 06:23:32 PM »
Schatzker vi

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 02:23:26 AM »
Looks like the bone is protruding out of the skin.   Have you had any surgery or treatment whatsoever?

support