Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2.5 weeks post lateral release surgery, worried...  (Read 1433 times)

Offline terrifickmb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2.5 weeks post lateral release surgery, worried...
« on: October 04, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
Hello everyone, so on the 17 th of september i had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee, for constant tracking issues along with recurrent dislocations, the most recent before consult with surgeon being when i just bent my knee to slide into bed.. i am  a 28 year old female with a really long history of joint problems, i have hypermobile joints, which means me ligaments etc are lax/loose, and others compensate by tightening, so i was told this lateral release would be my best option atm. so after surgery the surgeon came and saw me and said he performed the lateral release along with removing a sizable foreign body from inside my knee that was catching. ( i knew there was something else not right in there) so my knee is still swollen and bruised but is slowly going down however i have swelling in my thigh, calf and foot despite keeping it elevated most of the day when i can. my biggest concern is the fact that every time i try and put more weight through my foot and attempt to walk more normally my knee straight away gives way, seems quite unstable, and in no way do i feel safe putting the weight on it, it has been like that since i have been weaning myself off using my crutches to assist me walking, past week. i am really worried that this is a result of the ligament being released and now there isnt much holding the knee in place. it hurts like anything when it happens and there have already  been issues where it def feels like it popped out at least part way, the knee wobbles like crazy. i have good quad strength and have no trouble lifting my leg. i am working on getting my knee to bend more and can almost get it straight. pain is still an issue, i elevate my leg alot. i am so over not doing anything it is driving me crazy lol.  i still have 6 days before i see my surgeon for first post op visit due to him being away on holidays. i had my right shoulder complete recon done 3 years ago, aswell as a washout of same knee done last year. i guess i thought i would be doing better by now, esp with the knee giving way on me all the time. anybodys thoughts on this and your own experiences is much appreciated. i am so affraid my knee is screwed and i be stuck in some uncomfy brace forever or back in surgery for a recon.

Offline amker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 2.5 weeks post lateral release surgery, worried...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
Hello.  I just joined this forum.  How are you as of late?  Any improvements?  I had a LR on Oct 6th, 2014.  I am still in a tremendous amount of pain and soooooo tired of sitting around as well.  I still have a lot of swelling as well.  I also had severe pain in the back of my knee on post op day 5..the next day I had a large bruise.  Dr seemed stumped.  I can put some weight with crutches but I have also experienced the giving out and boy is it painful.  I am in fear that mine didn't work either.  I haven't started therapy yet.  I also can lift my leg with out problem....it took a while but I can do it now.  I am hoping that you are in a better place now.....It seems we have similar problems.....maybe we can help each other out.  I am sure you are icing alot.....it seems to help me ALOT.  This is my 3rd leg operation and the 2nd on this knee..This was the most painful by far.  And I still have the pain I had before the operation which makes me really nervous....Good Luck..........Annie

Offline terrifickmb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »
hi thanks for replying, it's great to know there is somebody else out there in a similar situation to me. i had my surgery on 17 th of september. i have been to physio twice now once per a week. i still have alot of pain and swelling too. i have swelling at the back where the tendons are just above knee bend, dr or physio couldnt really tell me what that was exactly. i am still very tender and feel deeply bruised over where the Lt release was done. i had alot of bruising all over lateral side of knee and front of knee but thats pretty much gone now. i am getting some of my range of movement back and i can straighten it, i still get the occasional giving way and wobbly feeling, surgeon seems to think that its muscle weakness and response to pain, i see him again on the 10 th of november. when is your first post op appointment. this was my third surgery as well second on this leg, by far most painful on this leg.did you have anything else done aswell as the lateral release?i also had big bit of broken loose cartilage removed that was getting stuck. i am walking now without crutches but its still somewhat awkward. i actually havn't really iced my knee but i do keep my knee elevated on a pillow when i can and at night in bed aswell. i was wrapping it with my bandages at night for warmth and support but stopped that recently i found it really helped me pain wise. i have that annoying weird sensation where clothes etc cant touch the knee from the damaged nerves and the reduced sensation. i have lost a hell of alot of leg muscle in thigh and calf. it will be a long recovery i think.

Offline amker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 04:41:40 AM »
HI  wow....we have so much in common....wish it was good stuff.  My first post op visit was this past Tuesday. I have my medial meniscus repaired in this knee as well as some clean up underneath my knee cap but that was December 2012.  I have nerve issues too.  Touch one side and feel it on the other and THEN.........i get an itch and when I scratch its on the numb side of my knee so i cant get to it. OMG....its insane. I used ice and it worked...phew.   I also have a chicken leg.  I am using 1 crutch when the pain meds are on board.  It keeps giving out on me which makes me nervous.  It seems PT is working for you but very slowly?  I agree in that this will be a long recovery.  Do you have a Bakers Cyst?

Offline terrifickmb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 07:14:58 AM »
we do seem to have alot in common, just not annoying knee problems. the nerve problems are definetely annoying. i did wonder if i had a bakers cyst dr did wonder that but seems to think not... yes pt is slowly getting me there but mainly i think its just time and slowly doing exercises.