Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella dislocation  (Read 620 times)

Offline Bluehose11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella dislocation
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:20:14 PM »
I am a 48 year old lady who is not an athlete but is athletic. I have had 25+ dislocations and these have caused me to limit my lifestyle through the years. No more. I have come to a point in my life when I have the $ and time to do something about my problem. MPFL surgery with a graft of tendon from my own leg is scheduled for mid November. The reality of what I have gotten myself into is freaking me out. Where do I go to answer my questions? I am currently stationed in Germany with my hubs and do not speak the language well enough to understand the answers. I do have a great OS , premiere in his field, but he has me in a locked straight brace for 4 weeks....... Usual, unusual????
The pain factor has me worried. I will pretty much be on my own with help in the afternoons- any comments on how to make this easier for myself? All answers and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Patella dislocation
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:52:36 PM »
Hi bluehose11
I am 3 weeks post op from TTO, Microfracture and mpfl reconstruction, and I have to be honest I've had only mild pain, the first night I was given ibuprofen, paracetamol, codeine and oral morphine at night whilst in hospital, day 2 I only took ibuprofen and para. And then from 7 days dropped to paraceromol only, since the 10 days mark of not taken any pain relief regularly, only occasionally at night and before appointments.
I am in a brace 0-90, my current rom is almost back to 90 degrees, I'm non weight bearing and tbh it's not that bad you do learn to get about.
hope this helps emma x
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline Bluehose11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella dislocation
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »
Thanks Emma,
I have been trying to get all my affairs in order for surgery- work , family, home, kids.......and have not been regularly checking the site.  All the info I have gleaned from Knee Guru has helped tremendously. Anxiety is still there , but I have enlisted some native speakers to help me in my surgery quest to ask questions and get info for me- keep up your hard work ! I hope and pray mine will go as smoothly as yours!!!