Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee braces, which do you use??  (Read 1177 times)

Offline terrifickmb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee braces, which do you use??
« on: October 10, 2014, 01:52:38 PM »
hi i have just had a lateral release performed 3 weeks ago on my right knee along with a sizeable bit of loose broken cartilage removed. i suffer hypermobile joints and my knee has a shallow groove. before surgery i had a deroyal j brace, with the lateral horse shoe shaped buttress pad, but found it never helped keep the knee cap stable and the little straps that went behind the knee were painful. seeing i have had the lateral release i no longer need the buttress on the lateral side ( well i hope anyway) but i am looking for a lightweight but very comfy supportive knee brace  for times that i feel i need support or i am in pain etc i want one that dosnt have tiny straps that cut into you, and fits well on the thigh so your not pulling it up all day or tucking flabby bits in lol. any advice??

Offline Fiba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: knee braces, which do you use??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:07:14 AM »
I use a J brace it's comfortable reduces the pain
and looks athletic!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 05:31:16 AM »
I can't speak to the specific brace for your recovery, but I can highly recommend Ossur braces in general from my experience post-ACL rupture. I tried out a few different braces and the Ossur ones were by far the lightest and most comfortable. The fitting process was also extremely diligent and I was impressed by how much care was taken to select the right brace for my personal situation.

I have also heard really good things about Townsend braces, although I wasn't able to try one as they didn't have a local rep in my province.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 01:09:01 PM »
I have a custom Townsend Premier brace which, after my injury, I used regularly. Now it hangs in the closet but it was most effective at the time. As I recall it was an expensive brace but the cost was fortunately covered by my medical insurance. I would say it's worth the investment if you're committed to long term brace use.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.