Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Going downstairs... POP!!  (Read 606 times)

Offline sac2dude

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Going downstairs... POP!!
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »
My home is a two story, so I'm walking up and down stairs all the time.  Yesterday I was going downstairs when all of a sudden there was this loud POP! from my left knee.  It gave out a bit, so I was leaning against the wall.  My wife was asking what happened, and my daughter (still upstairs) said she had heard it, and was wondering if I was okay. 

• Anyway, I can walk around and don't feel a thing.
  • I can go up the stairs, and don't feel a thing.
  • But coming DOWN the stairs, I have pain to the inside of the knee, enough that I'm very careful coming downstairs, favoring it quite a bit.

Any thoughts?

This is getting irritating.  I'm already scheduled to meet with an surgeon about scheduling arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder due to impingement/popping issues and the resulting pain... its like stuff starts falling apart as you get older.   :(

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Going downstairs... POP!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 03:37:35 AM »
Hi sac2dude:  Your absolutely right.  As you get older your joints start to deteriorate.  I think it has  been said on this site that in your 30's your knees start to deteriorate.   When I had a meniscus tear descending on stairs was difficult and more painful than going up.   I also had weakness in that knee and giving out. I had a fear of falling all the time especially on stairs.   What you should do to be safe is the heaven and hell walk on the stairs.  Go down with the bad knee first one stair at a time.  When your going up start with the good knee one stair at a time.  Hold on to a railing  either way.  Perhaps when you see your surgeon you could mention the knee problem and he can examine your knee and give you advice.  Popping or clicking and pain could mean a meniscus tear even if it is only symptomatic going down the stairs.  It doesn't have to be from a fall or sports injury.  It can be from wear and tear.     Best of luck;  LAS