Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: High Tibial osteotomy operation, tibial fracture  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Hososs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
High Tibial osteotomy operation, tibial fracture
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »
Whilst being operated for a HTO two weeks ago , my tibia sustained an extra fracture.
The OS mentioned it as a complication, which would make the HTO more unstable.

Can anyone tell me whether this is a normal complication?
The OS didn't use any more words on it, except that I would have to be NWB a bit longer than normal and use a brace for four weeks, which I otherwise wouldn't have needed.

The two extra screws for the fracture will have to come out after things have grown together again, the HTO screws will have to stay.

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
Re: High Tibial osteotomy operation, tibial fracture
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »
On occasions when the OS is making the break in the tibia for the HTO, the bone can break all the way across. Normally one side of the bone is kept together like a hinge and the tibia is opened up slowly into a > so a plate can screwed into place on the outside of the opening to hold it open.
Unfortunately it would sound as if your tibia has broken all the way across.

Good luck with your recovery

WD

Offline Hososs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 06:40:03 PM »
Hi WD,
thanks for that, I won't see the OS till early november, and haven't seen the x-rays, so was really wondering about this.
I'm looking forward to seeing the x-rays and understanding a little better what they have done. Tomorrow the bandages come of, so maybe that will reveal a bit as well!

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:47:07 PM »
Have a read of this course on the info hub

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/courses/realignment-osteotomy-knee-pain-course-adrian-wilson-frcs

This may be of help to understand what you have had done

Offline Hososs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
I spoke to the OS today, this particular break was not a normal complication, but just a freak accident from his side.. something that had never happened to him before. It wasn't a break at the longer end of the HTO, but a kind of break to the side in the middle of the hto, things have grown together again.
Fortunately it doesn't complicate further recovery, except for one of the screws which might have to be taken out in a couple of months.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:09:53 PM »
I had a second break (mine was in the femur, following a DFO) as a result of a random complication. A crack propigated off the end of the wedge, travelled up the shaft, and broke off a chunk. Mine was unstable, and the surgeon didn't want to open and repin, nor did he want to jeopardize the correction, so I ended up on bed rest. Doubled my recovery time, but other than that, no harm done.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty