Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone have ACLr and Mircrofracture?  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anyone have ACLr and Mircrofracture?
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:20:39 PM »
My doc is scheduling me for ACL reconstruction and meniscus fix soon. I tore my acl in januarry playing soccer. Im 29 year old male.

He mentioned that when doing the acl he may want to do microfracture surgery on a lesion on femoryl condyle? I hope im explaining that somewhat correctly.  he said IF he has to do this i cant weight bare for at least 4 weeks as opposed to being back walking fairly quickly if he just does the acl and meniscus.

After researching microfracture im now extremely nervous about  it and would hate not knowing if i can weight bare until i wake up. Anyone have experience with this? Im wondering if i only did the acl and meniscus and said i didnt want the microfracture regardless would i be ok? I want to play soccer recreationally again and be able to hike, run be active etc.

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 367
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Anyone have ACLr and Mircrofracture?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »
Surely 4 weeks in the context of an active rest of your life isn't that much really.  Go into the surgery mentally prepared to have the microfracture and if it's not done, that's better (this is what happened to me, albeit with no ACL, my defect had filled with fibrocartilage, and didn't need drilling)

Also, if the meniscus is repaired rather than trimmed (which is what you want if possible), you'll usually need to protect it by using crutches for a similar length of time

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »
There was a member called lis1 who if I think had an ACL and a type of micro fracture. If you search for her posts (she had an interesting post op diary if I remember correctly). She worked as a manager at a sports centre and was also a bit of an amateur long distance cyclist/swimmer. Her recovery was slow but brilliant and she competed in a whole load of fundraisers after she was eventually released by her physios and doctors.

Four weeks is no time at all in the overall picture but it will drag like nobody's business if you are not prepared for it. I've just spent 6 weeks sleeping in fits and starts due to pain while sitting up with my dominant arm and shoulder immobilised after rotator cuff surgery. I thought each second lasted a year to be honest, even though I was thoroughly prepared for it. Now I'm about to start my second round of intensive rehab as part of my re-introduction to work. I can't believe how quickly the past 9 weeks have shot past looking back on it. And the dexterity of my non-dominant side has come on in leaps and bounds! The nuns who tried to make me right- handed as a small child will be dancing in glee that I'm finally getting there after all these years!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:01:41 AM by Kaputt_Knee »
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Matthew24

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 11:46:07 PM »
thanks guys, will look into those posts further as well. I guess in the reality of things i really do have a lot of trust in my doc so as you said i should just prepare for it and hope for the best. Gonna Schedule one more appointment pre-surgery to discus the microfracture a bit more with doc. just hoping next year i get back to activitly . this past 9 months with no sports or activity has been brutal. hope you guys heal well and continue progress, thanks again for reply.

support