Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Weight bearing after microfracture  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Malkin479

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Weight bearing after microfracture
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:42:30 AM »
Hi - I'm currently on week 3 of the 6 weeks non weight bearing following microfracture surgery and menisectomy. Like others on here I fell in week one and again, heavily, today. This has resulted in me putting full weight on the knee with a shooting pain straight through it. I'm after reassurance really that others have done this and it didn't result in microfracture failure  :-[ Thank you!

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Weight bearing after microfracture
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »
Only your surgeon, probably with an MRI would be able to tell you. 

I had a traumatic defect (1.5cm2 on weightbearing femoral condyle) which wasn't microfractured - however when the knee was scoped for a menisectomy the defect was found to be well filled with fibrocartilage (as happens with MFX) - after the trauma, I didn't use any crutches, took almost no time off work, continued to drive a manual car, went to the gym, hobbled around as before etc.  So my feeling would be a stumble would have little effect if the MFX is destined to work.  The crutches are to give it the best chance of healing. 

You won't know if it's been successful for several months to come as the knee has to get over the trauma of the op and you need to do physio etc to get the muscles back to strength

When do you have post op follow up?

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Malkin479

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Weight bearing after microfracture
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:34:22 AM »
Thanks for that, hoping that having been REALLY good these couple of stumbles won't have set it back! It's been hard enough as it is!! I see the consultant on 22nd Oct - will be 6.4 weeks post-op then.

Thanks for the reply - hope your jabs are keeping your pain at bay. Good luck! 😃🍀