Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Schatzker type vi- leg was set in ER prior to scans on day of accident  (Read 2025 times)

Finnthekid

Hi, I'm on week three of a schatzker vi and just navigating the vast information and processes ahead of me.
One worry that plays over and that I can't find information on - my leg was xrayed on the day of the accident, the E.R doctor then put me under and set my leg, is this normal procedure, after I woke my ham strings were torn and I could literally feel every ligament had been torn by trying to set the leg back. It's the only aspect of the whole thing that gives me nightmares, I accept the accident and I'm generally positive about the future but I genuinely have nightmares about this part of the whole experience, I know that it caused a lot more damage, I woke up during the setting of my leg and had to get put under again .

Thanks, I wait for a reply

Offline Madyakker

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 21
Re: Schatzker type vi- leg was set in ER prior to scans on day of accident
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »
I must admit I have never heard of this happening. After mine (type V) I was just given a back slab and told I would have to wait for an operation. I have heard that you can have problems with blood flow after the more severe TPF's and the medics did keep checking for that. Some people have to have emergency work to sort that out but that doesn't sound as if that is what was done with you. Sorry I cant tell you any more and sorry you had to join us. Best wishes. Madyakker
15/12/13 Kayak accident trap under by leg diag. depr. lateral TPF
20/12/13 ORIF 8 screws
21/12/13 Vasovagal episode
22/12/13 Walk + frame
24/12/13 Home
02/1/14 stiches out vasovagalattack sono physio
16/1/14 1st phys  crutches
27/2/14 PWB
20/3/14 FWB
29/4/14 no crutch occ stick
08/5/14 1st step up

Offline morgana

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:07:30 PM »
Finnthekid  Sorry you became a member of the club no one wants to join.

Have to say what you describe sounds like nothing that I have read before, and I joined in May 2008. But, I will tell you that the ER dr was hoping to get  me into surgery that evening with the OS that eventually did the surgery.  The comment made at that time was after a certain period the swelling would be too great and then the surgery would have to wait for a reduction in the swelling.  In the end, there was no OR available that night and surgery waited 48 hours, with lack of OR  driving the decision.

So, that might have been the rush to surgery for you.  When do you go see an OS?  That might give you real peace of mind, having a pro tell you the logic and reasons behind what occurred.

Stealing a line from Mary (the unofficial Head Cheerleader of this Forum - Thank you Mary for that!!)  "Sending Healing Rays your way"
5-26-08 Severely comminuted bicondylar fracture-right tib plat - locking plate & 6 screws  Bicycle Accident
nwb for 12 weeks
6-12 started pt
7-21 added swimming
8-25 pwat with walker
9-02 four prong cane
10-07 cane
10-15 cane as needed,slight limp
10-27 OS:next visit 10-2009

Finnthekid

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 05:24:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply knee nerds  ::),probably didn't explain properly, I arrived at ER on the 13th of sept and got x-rayed immediately, while I was in there a doctor suggested that I should get some scans first before setting my leg back into place, the doc said no not to worry and put me under with ketamine which I thought was strange, I woke up mid procedure from the pain, and had to be put back under. I was given a half a cast for the back of my thigh to my foot and then I got some scans.

I was told swelling was too much for surgery, so I had to wait five days.17/9/2014 Which were the worst ever I will explain another day, the surgeon spoke to me pre-op for 60 seconds about having to cut a nerve to relieve pain, then that was it, nine screws and a plate, no one spoke to me of anything, absolutely nothing regarding PT, future surgeries, damage to ligaments, nothing, I had bad reaction to endone pain killers, told the docs about it and received a double dose the day after surgery. So I checked myself out on the 19th two days after surgery.

I saw the X-ray they took on the day and well the top of my tibia was like shards of confetti, I didn't know at the time but it was a schatzker type vi, so I can't understand why they would pull my leg apart to put it in position when I was due for surgery in five days anyway, there was nothing to really set as the top of my tibia had been so fragmented... Please reply or point me in the right direction

Finnthekid

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 05:31:17 PM »
Btw I'm typing this from another hospital bed, three weeks after surgery because I have clots on my lung. I wasn't given any blood thinners leaving the hospital or when I returned for my appointment to get my stitches out. My accident happened on the 13th of sept and my first appointment with a surgeon is on the 29th of October, is this normal

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »
Finn - sorry about all the problems you are having.  I'm glad they caught the blood clots in time.  I know it seems like forever between appointments.  For me it was 5 weeks between having my stitches out and my next appointment.
A couple of hints.  Start writing down a list of questions for the doctor.  If possible have someone with you to write down his/her answers so you can concentrate on listening.  Don't leave his office until you have all your questions answered.
While in the hospital ask about exercises that you can do to keep your muscles/tendons stretched.  Ankle pumps, alphabets, straight leg raises.
If you are in pain, keep on top of your pain medications.  also write down the type of pain (burning, sharp, etc) the time and strength. 
I wish there was an quick way to recover from this injury, but you need to be patient.
Sending healing rays your way - Morgana you can borrow that line anytime, we need all the healing rays we can get.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Finnthekid

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:13:48 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply. Really appreciate the effort and advice

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 06:56:37 PM »
Hi Finnthekid

Which country are you in? When I was operated on for my knee they gave me injections of LMWH. When I checked it out at the time I remember that in Europe the standard protocol was LMWH before the op and for a total of about 30 days. In the US anticoagulants were either LMWH or Warfarin for a major op but started after the operation. I was in hospital for 5 days and then had 20 days of daily LMWH injections so I'm a bit surprised that you didn't receive any.
Completely agree with Mary on the written questions and writing down the answers. Doctors are usually trying to get you out as soon as possible so you need a list to keep focused. In my case it had the extra benefit that the doctor saw I was interested and had thought about things and spent additional time, and I even ended up getting some preferential treatment.

After the operation I first saw my OS when the staples came out after 2 weeks (he just looked in to ask how I was) and then again 3 weeks later, but it was for a different injury so it may be the protocol is different for a tpf.

I can relate to lying in a hospital bed and posting on kneeguru, been there myself but not for something quite so serious. Hope it comes out all right in the end.

cheers
Mark
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

Offline Madyakker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »
Hi Finn
I agree with Mary, you definitely need to write as much down as you can and also be careful with your meds. Will there be anyone at home when you are discharged? I wish now I had asked my family for more help but I thought at the time that I could cope and ended up overdosing on tramadol (not an experience I would recommend). I think I was completely away with the fairies for the first 3 weeks at least! You are asking about how long between appointments. I think that the timing of your first physio appointments depend a lot on how much trauma they think you had and with a type 6  it doesn't surprise me that you have quite a long gap.  I missed my first appointments (due to my tendency to faint when I have severe pain and being transported to the hospital lying in a stretcher) so it was around 5 weeks before I saw anyone and I wasn't happy about it. When I missed appointments I gave them a ring and they gave me some very basic exercise advice over the phone. At the time I was lying down most of the time since I could not sit and they were concerned about the effect on my lungs.  I hope this helps. Madyakker
20/12/13 ORIF 8 screws
22/12/13 Walk + frame
24/12/13 Home
27/2/14 PWB
20/3/14 FWB
08/5/14 1st step up

Finnthekid

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 03:24:04 AM »
Hey madyakker, just read your other posts about how you injured yourself, sounds horrendous, I'm a level two kayak instructor as well, wondering if you're injury will affect your kayaking ability by much. I've never heard of your injury before, very unlucky.

How is your recovery going?

Offline Madyakker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 05:46:15 PM »
Hi Finn,
Ironically it is one of my better sports. I am still struggling with hip flicks and bracing due to inhibition of my hip and thigh muscles (they tend to turn off if you suffer intense pain and are then immobilised). I am getting the  movements back but it is slow. I don't seem to have any problems rolling but I have always been very paddle focussed and my hip flick was weak before. My main difficulties are in getting in and out of the boat. I got back in the water after about 6 months and can get out in deep water but I don't trust shallow water since I cant seem to bend my legs enough to curl up under the boat. I rely heavily on other club paddlers who have been fantastic and volunteer to carry my boat and help me in and out. Once on the water I feel more free.  I have decided not to push myself wrt river runs this coming winter but get back into easy stuff next summer. I don't know yet if I will have the courage to face anything bigger than a grade 2 but you know what they say, when you fall off the horse you just need to get back on it! Madyakker
20/12/13 ORIF 8 screws
22/12/13 Walk + frame
24/12/13 Home
27/2/14 PWB
20/3/14 FWB
08/5/14 1st step up

support