Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can an ACL tear be missed by an MRI?  (Read 2949 times)

Offline 12345678

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can an ACL tear be missed by an MRI?
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:20:46 AM »
About a week and a half ago I injured my right knee playing soccer. I don't remember much from the injury because it happened so fast but what I do remember is the right outside of my knee was hit by another girls knee. My leg was also straight when it happened and after getting struck I landed very awkwardly so the right outside of my ankle was flat to the ground and my leg was straight. Pain was immediate but I didn't think much about it because it was right at the end of the game. I had to limp off but it wash't horrible. As I was getting on the bus to go home I realized how swollen it was because I could barely step up. I went home and once I got out I could barely walk. It felt very wobbly and unstable. I went to bed but the next day it was so swollen and I couldn't walk on so I had to stay home from school because we didn't have any crutches laying around. I went to the doctor and he was almost certain I tore my ACl due to the huge amount of swelling. So he ordered an mri. While there they also did the kt 1000 test or something like that. (The name might be wrong) My left uninjured knee read 2,4,6 and my injured right knee read 4,6,8 so my right ACL did show that it was loose. I was on crutches for a couple days and had an MRI. The MRI showed that I had no tears and everything looked good. My doctor was extremely surprised that I hadn't torn anything. He said that I sprained my mcl so gave me a brace for it and I am also doing pt. My knee still feels wobbly and I feel like I can't trust it fully. So is there a chance that the MRI missed something? I also tore my meniscus last year and I had a MRI 2 times and both times it didn't show up.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Can an ACL tear be missed by an MRI?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 07:01:24 PM »
Yes, it's quite possible for the MRI to miss an ACL tear - I know a couple of people this has happened to, as well as a couple of cases of the reverse (MRI showed a tear, ACL turned out to be intact). MRIs are pretty good but definitely not infallible. If there are still signs that the knee is compromised, especially ongoing instability, I would keep pushing the doctor for further investigation.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline BigKneehurts

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Can an ACL tear be missed by an MRI?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 06:56:12 PM »
I also have heard of MRI's being misread.(but I think its very rare) There are services that will take a look at your scan and give you a new opinion. You can also go back to the place you had it done and ask to have it reevaluated. I did this with mine and got a slightly different answer.

support