Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: General questions/concerns after ACL surgery  (Read 837 times)

Offline kiaran95

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
General questions/concerns after ACL surgery
« on: September 27, 2014, 12:13:28 AM »
Hi all,

This is officially my first post on this forum ;D I am a 19 year old male from the UK, keen football player and I had ACL reconstruction (hamstring) on the 15th of September. I was hoping that some of you may be able to give me some guidance from your experiences based on the queries I have.

To tell you where I am, I'm 12 days post surgery, I can bend my knee to about 100-110 degrees before I start to feel discomfort, slightly swollen and not much pain. From what i've read thats good going but I have a few concerns:

I am currently off of crutches but I am not walking normally, my surgeon told me he'd like to see me walking asap as the weight bearing does not affect the graft. From your experiences; do I continue to walk with a slight limp or continue to use the crutches until I can walk normally? I feel very comfortable putting weight on it and it does not hurt when I attempt to walk.

And at this stage, if I want something I tend to get it myself rather then getting my mother or sister to get a drink for me for example, is that okay?

Also, i'm not sure if i'm overdoing it on the physio therapy, I work within the pain barrier, so am I right to assume that if something hurts I shouldn't do it? and I am only doing something wrong if it hurts me? Just concerned about that as I don't want to cause any damage to the graft, any strict don'ts in terms of exercising/mobility would be greatly appreciated.

In terms of sleeping, can I sleep with a bent leg or do I always have to sleep with the operated knee straight?

Apologies for the extensive questions, just need to get the concerns out of my head before I can be comfortable with what i'm doing. I'd be very thankful if you knee experts could help me out  ;)

Cheers, Kiaran

Offline MarisaLee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • just a minor setback for a major comeback
Re: General questions/concerns after ACL surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:38:53 PM »
Hey there!
I'm currently 7 weeks post op from my second ACL surgery, both hamstring grafts.

I was walking w/o crutches 3 days post op. While I'm not a doctor of course, I'd say you're safe to walk without the crutches. Just work on walking normally. I know it can take a while haha.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! (: happy healing.

support