Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tibial Tuberosity Transfer weakness many months later  (Read 5187 times)

Offline jhoppy01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tibial Tuberosity Transfer weakness many months later
« on: September 22, 2014, 06:59:26 AM »
I have knee problems for decades. Bit of back history.......Im in Australia, I'm now 43 and my first operation was in 1984 when I had my left kneecap "scraped". Healing was good (I was young and very fit) but due to me putting extra weight on the right leg, the right knee started dislocating. I went to a physiotherapist who did work with me to help build up all the muscle strength and I honestly didn't have problems for years\
Then in 1998 when my right knee dislocated again. The pain started in the left knee again...I did a squat in a Tae Bo class and I could hear my kneecap "pop" and it seemed to go to the lateral side of the knee and never went back. I got surgery in 2000 on the left leg and found out the hard way that the "surgeon" was not a surgeon (he was just a plain old GP....don't ask how he was allowed to operate) so I saw another surgeon (who was a surgeon this time....the research was done) who told me I needed a TTT, a lateral release and a clean-out as the "butcher" (name given to the non surgeon GP) managed to scrape away so much on my kneecap that it was (and still is) now shaped like a horseshoe. Not much can be done there BUT I had the TTT and I really have minimal pain.
Problem is, I still have no strength is this left knee joint....I cannot step up or down without the knee shaking like crazy and almost collapsing. 13 years!!! I have done all exercises and no medical professionals seem to have a clue as to why I still have limited strength in this joint. The kneecap is still out of alignment (still, I have minimal pain) but I am most frustrated by the lack of strength after so many years!!!!!!!!!

So, all of this meant I put extra pressure on the right leg which of course has lead to the inevitable....the right knee needed work. So, I did my research again and found a great surgeon who recommended hard work via exercise, swimming, physiotherapy and then if I still had problems, he would consider operating.  I have been told I need knee replacements but still need a TTT before this could ever happen anyway.
 I am now 42 an still recovering from a TTT that I had done mid November 2013. I was in a cricket pad (hip to ankle) brace for 6 weeks so started rehab January 2014.
I have been working my butt off and I still feel that I have made minimal progress. Add to this the already existing weakness in my left leg AND now a back fracture (that has been dormant for years due to being so fit and strong) is causing pain which I feel is limiting my muscle strength. I have also been told I need to work on my glute med muscle BUT I get extreme pains when I do a few glute med exercises on my right side (it causes so much pain that I am in agony from bottom to ankle for at least a week so need very strong painkillers) which is not normal either. I know I may have the glute med problems due to me having a fall on my side onto food cans that landed right into the glute med insertion BUT once again, this was years ago when I was very fit so I didnt worry about it at the time. Now it is all coming out and really affecting my progress and the pain is getting annoying. I feel burning pains around the knee joint (6 inches above and below also) for 8 months now. And I seem to be getting no response from my physiotherapist. The surgeon can only do CT scans, MRI's and x-rays but he cannot give me exercises as thats up to the PT who seems at a loss as to what is going on with me

This lack of progress and other problems is now starting to affect my mental state as it does upset me, my personal relationships as I am getting annoyed about my lack of progression,  I am taking too many meds as the pain keeps me awake and of course, I have put on weight which of course does not help the joints!

I am trying so hard and just seem to be making no progression. I really do not want my right leg to have the same weakness as my left leg does as it is impacting my life considerably

Any help? Ideas? I am desperate

Offline Lilalu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Tibial Tuberosity Transfer weakness many months later
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:10:45 AM »
Hi Hoppy,

I am not an expert and I did not have a TTT yet. Maybe I will get this in the near future. My muscle is also very weak at the moment because of the pain in the knee and kneecap.

I try to prevent loosing even more muscle by what I love most - bicycling and walking. I donīt know, if you are allowed to this. But if you are - do as much of it as you can without pain (or pain getting worse, when you are in pain always)! It helped me much more than all the exercises (do those anyway of course!). If you have the possibility to do so, get out of the house and use the bike in nature and fresh air. This also kept my mood up a little better, than staying at home all the time! Just make sure, you donīt put to much pressure on your kneecap (no uphill-biking, saddle very high). For walking I use sticks and walk at least for an hour every day.

I am not sure, but I think my some muscle is coming back slowly now! At least I hope it does!

All the best to you!

Offline jhoppy01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Tibial Tuberosity Transfer weakness many months later
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
HI
I did a lot of prehab before getting the operation and the leg was very strong as I knew I needed to before the operation as the muscle atrophies very quickly. Sure, there was pain under the kneecap (hence why I got the TTT) but the quad, calf and hamstring muscles were very strong. Why I am frustrated!
Problem is, biking also means extreme pain in the lower back so I am overly cautious (AKA Annoyed) about what exercises I am able to do

support