Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 6 days out from ACLr and school starting in 12 days  (Read 633 times)

Offline cheng81894

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
6 days out from ACLr and school starting in 12 days
« on: September 22, 2014, 05:54:55 AM »
Hey guys first post! Been stalking this forum for a long time and it has been a ton of help. But anyways here is a little background. I tore my ACL and medial meniscus sometime around January and April (kept playing basketball on a bad knee until I finally messed it up for good running suicides), got my meniscus fixed on 5/27 in order to get my ROM back first before fixing my ACL. Had to work all summer, so I didnt get my ACLr using my patella tendon until last tuesday, 9/16. Recovery has been okay, pain was pretty terrible the first 3 days and its slowly been getting better after that. I ditched my pain meds 2 days ago, so I guess thats good. Other than that I have a couple of worries. For one, I still can't lift my leg at all and I have to get my gf to help me lift it off the bed to the ground or I have to use my other foot to lift it. Is this normal for my leg 6 days post op? Also, my extension has been fine, pretty sure its been fully extended since surgery, but my flexion is pretty poor. Maybe like 50-60 degrees right now? It feels like my shin is gonna snap in half. Also I have read around that the normal blood rush when you stand up gets better with time, any idea when that will eventually dissipate? I would say my pain tolerance is pretty decent, but I'm so discouraged from getting up other than brushing my teeth and going to the bathroom at this point..... just really worried because classes start in 12 days and I dont want to be still bed ridden all day.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:57:39 AM by cheng81894 »

Offline MarisaLee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • just a minor setback for a major comeback
Re: 6 days out from ACLr and school starting in 12 days
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:08:06 AM »
Hey there!
I'm 7 weeks post op for my second ACL surgery. (hamstring graft both times)
personally, I was walking without crutches 3 days after surgery. getting your straight leg raise is very important in activating your quads, and the sooner you get the raise the sooner you get out of that huge brace haha. flexion will come once swelling goes down, getting extension is more important right now.

as for classes, I started school a week after my surgery and it was tiring. however, as long as you work hard and start walking soon you'll be good!

Offline cheng81894

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 6 days out from ACLr and school starting in 12 days
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:19:13 AM »
I am now 2 weeks out, and my knee is doing alot better! Still cant walk completely pain/tightness free, but its slowly getting there I guess. Flexion is alot better, I want to say around 105-110 degrees now, but its still pretty tight. Also I can finally perform SLR albeit with alot of quad fatigue. Still cant really sleep at night which sucks since school is starting tomorrow, but I am encouraged with the gradual progression.

support