Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery and oral contraceptive pill  (Read 1014 times)

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Surgery and oral contraceptive pill
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:58:12 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm due to have surgery on Monday (Tto & MPFL) , I stopped taking the oral contraceptive for this surgery as advised but how soon after surgery can I start taking it again,
Thanks emma   :-\
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Surgery and oral contraceptive pill
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:32:01 AM »
Hi Ema_b85:  I remember this question a few months back.   I is important to stop the oral contraceptive 4 weeks before surgery especially when it is on any part of the leg to help prevent DVT. The pill can be recommenced on 1st  day of your  next cycle  provided that it is at least 14 days after the surgery.  But best you check with your surgeon or GP and there should be specific instructions for medications you should follow carefully.   Good Luck with your surgery.   LAS

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Surgery and oral contraceptive pill
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
Thanks las for your reply
Spoke to hospital regarding re starting taking contraceptive pill on day 3 post op and they said can re start whenever as I was on enoxaparin so there was no need to wait 14 days.
Thanks emma x
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

support