Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bilateral Quadricep Tendon Rupture and 2nd surgery  (Read 4142 times)

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
Bilateral Quadricep Tendon Rupture and 2nd surgery
« on: September 10, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »
I ruptured both of my quad tendons back on 12/19/13 and was operated on 2 days later.  I went to PT for about 5 months and have been doing working my quad muscles at the gym using exercises recommended by my PT for the last 3 month.  Since I still seem to have some stiffness in my knees (particularly my left) and more weakness in the left leg I had a question.  On my last visit to my surgeon he offered to go back in to clean up some things which could speed up the process.  Since the rehab I was doing seemed to be going well I passed not wanting another operation.  I have since plateaued a little bit and was wondering if anyone had this 2nd surgery done.  Basically what was done and how much did it help?  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks
Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
Re: Bilateral Quadricep Tendon Rupture and 2nd surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 11:15:39 PM »
Hi there

Very little that I have seen on this board about going back in - Frank550 is one exception for corrective purposes - but I think the consensus opinion would be (a) when you need a surgeon, you need a surgeon (when something is severed or shattered) and in any case (b) talk to your physio early and often.  Or as my physio said, a surgeon is a man or woman with a hammer looking for nails.  Given the cost and recovery time from surgery it's worth really exploring what you can do with physio first.  The majority of harder recoveries seem to be stories of unsuccessful or slow rehab, not poor surgery.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Griceberg

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:28:35 PM »
If I may ask, how did you rupture both at the same time?
5/25/06  Right quadriceps tendon rupture from patella.
6/9/06  Surgery to repair quad tendon. Anchored to patella with sutures.
- After 6 weeks, began physical therapy for two months.
1/2007  Began another month of pt.
- Currently still experiencing pain on top of and on the interior of the kneecap.

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »
I was walking down the back steps taking out 2 bags of trash.  I missed the bottom step and all of my weight came down on my left leg.  That explains that one.  At this point everything happened so fast I don't really know what happened with my right leg.  I could have been the way I landed (probably) or just snapped in sympathy for the other one.
Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
Pretty much the same here, going down stairs, caught the left heel on one stair. It bent all the way back and the strain on it caused the rupture. The other one went trying to get up. MY PT thinks that maybe the right one partially started to go first then when I tried to get up that finished the job. Better than doing a header down 7-8 steps to the concrete floor, though.
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »
Fishy here.  18 1/2 months since double RPT.  I am a 67 yo male, and until the accident kept myself in pretty good shape BUT I was about 20 lbs over my running weight (about 190 lbs, 5'10" tall).  I had been moving boxes in preparation for moving and had made about 30 trips up/down two flights of stairs with boxes.  I continued way past just being tired and with two boxes to go I carried a box full of glass (weighing 30 lbs) to the garage and missed the 1 step down a two step staircase....I fell trying to protect the glass in the box (I at least succeeded in not breaking any glass) but landed squarely on both knees.  Strangely neither rupture was on the day of the fall but occurred two days later after I had an hour of water aerobics and half-hour of hot tub....walking to my car my right leg just "let go" followed by my left leg....literally, I looked down and could not move my leg below the knee.  And the pain was exquisite....  Hope that helps....   Bob

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 07:33:58 AM »
Destroyedbothtendons, I feel your pain.  I am a double Patellar Tendon Rupturee (if that is a word, which I will trademark).  I know it is a different situation/tendon, but there are a few of us out here with a double.  I was working in my garden, which is on a slight slope and slipped in the mud and pretty much landed on my back with my heals hitting by butt.  I felt the pain in my right knee and thought I could stand.  How wrong I was.  After attempting to get up three times, falling each time and doing a number on the right knee, I was able to crawl out of the garden to a retaining wall, where I was able to stand using a rake as a crutch and make it to my basement.  After getting myself cleaned up and ready to go to the hospital, I stood up, and wham, there went the left knee.  Needless to say, I knew I was screwed.  Had no idea what a patellar tendon was until after the ER physician told me I needed them to stand and walk, both of which I would not be doing for awhile.  I had surgery two day later and then had two weeks of intense rehab in a Specialty Rehab Hospital in St. Louis.  After making it home, I was off work for another 6 weeks until I was able to get that first 30 degree bend in the braces.  And one brace would be bad enough, but those of us with a double know the pain of two.  17 months later and still have some issues with my knees, but I manage to get better every few weeks.

I am not sure of a second surgery, except for the wire snipping.  But I have some creaking and popping issues and the occasional pain and probably some arthritis, especially with the cold and rainy weather.  If the OS says he can do it with out causing more issues and it will clean up the scar tissue, I say go for it.  Hope it goes well.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13