Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: cycling knee pain 8 weeks after arthroscopy  (Read 741 times)

Offline FBaggins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
cycling knee pain 8 weeks after arthroscopy
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »
Hi

I had arthroscopy and  debringement on my left knee done 8 weeks ago.  I have been under the impression I can get back to cycling etc after 4-6 weeks.

I am still experiencing mild pain when cycling and intense pain when cycling standing up.

Anyone on the site have the same problem?  I am getting very frustrated since my knee injury has had me out of Triathlon for 8 months now.

Should I just continue with the pain? Or must I go see the surgeon again?

Thanks a mill!

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: cycling knee pain 8 weeks after arthroscopy
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 04:17:31 AM »
Hi FBaggins:  Healing time is different for everyone.   I believe 4-6 weeks is the minimum but in my experience it was 4 months with both knees before I was completely back on my feet and I didn't feel like my knee was unstable during activities or exercising.  Standard time is 3 months.  If you have intense pain during this exercise, you should stop doing it and take baby steps towards strengthening your knee with PT.  After 3 months of recuperation, if you are still having problems getting back to normal, go back and see the surgeon for an explanation. I  experienced the same situation with my first surgery.  I was still limping after 3 months of PT although I was told 4 weeks  post-op that I would be fine.  They just don't really know how long it will take you to recuperate because everybody is different.  It depends on your age, your injury, weight,  physical therapy.  There are so many factors in everyday life that contribute to your recuperation as well  like working, school ,stairs, driving.   I would give it more time.  Back off of the cycling for a bit.  Then if you have done everything you were suppose to do and your not where you want to be go back to the surgeon for further evaluation.     Good luck with your recuperation.   LAS