Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What can I do to loosen my quad muscles?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline ChelseaSoccer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What can I do to loosen my quad muscles?
« on: September 06, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
I was told I have patellofemoral syndrome. My kneecap is not tracking properly over my thigh bone because my qauds are too tight (and have knots). This is causing inflammation under my kneecap and knee pain/tightness. What are good methods of loosening the quad muscles so they don't pull the kneecap out of place? What kind of stretches should I be doing? Should I be using a muscle roller or foam roller?

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
Re: What can I do to loosen my quad muscles?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:18:30 PM »
You'd be best off seeking advice from a physiotherapist who knows your history, can examine and manipulate your leg, show you what exercises to do and also check that you are doing these correctly as you don;t want to make things worse :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline HerbM

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
    • Austin Combatives & Self-Defense
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:14:28 AM »
Check with your doc to make sure it's allowed but my advice and what I am doing (rehabbin a new THR and pre-habbing for a BTKR in late Oct) is the following:

--
HerbM

Offline ChelseaSoccer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:21:20 AM »
I did see a physical therapist. He told me that my quad muscles were tight and shortened. He showed me three stretches that I have been doing on my own. I do not want to go back for another session though. He tried to hyperextend my leg and caused severe pain behind my knee that lasted for 3 days.

Offline HerbM

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
    • Austin Combatives & Self-Defense
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:54:44 AM »
General rule:  Don't do things that HURT and don't let people HURT you (especially PTs).  Especially avoid anything that causes pain, swelling, or inflammation for DAYS.

Loosening your quad is NOT a race -- it doesn't have to be done in one day.  Take it easy, edge into it.

Keep it JUST THIS SIDE of actually painful.  Keep doing the stretches gently to moderately and be patient over days, weeks, or even months.

Look at "resistance stretching". 
--
HerbM

Offline ChelseaSoccer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »
I have been using a muscle roller and doing gentle stretches. I read good things about foam rolling, so I have ordered one to try on my quads.

Has anyone ever had a problem with tight quads?

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »
"Has anyone ever had a problem with tight quads?"

I deal with a tight left quad regularly but due to back problems. Quad stretches & foam rolling help considerably but offer only temporary relief until the back problems are resolved.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.