Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Flying to London from India with a ligament injury  (Read 1926 times)

Offline mimi2uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Flying to London from India with a ligament injury
« on: September 05, 2014, 04:32:23 AM »
Hello all,
I have brought this topic which might be not new but i could not find the exact forum so putting it as a new topic. I am very much anxious about my knee. I hope I can get some useful advices over here.

I am a healthy girl of age 26. I have been always very busy with my studies. Few months back I joined a gym to cut down few kilos. I was told to do an exercise named jumping jack; had to jump first two legs wide apart and then jump back to initial straight condition with the simultaneous up and down movement of my hand. well, it seemed to be a pretty easy exercise. However it was not the same to the knee of a six ft tall healthy girl's knee. I twisted my knee, fell twice and was diagnosed with a tear in MCL. But no physician advised me for an MRI. They examined and told MCL has been partially injured, ACL might be. However none of them felt that I should go with an MRI. Probably because I had no much pain in doing anything with my knee. Only problem was an woobly feeling. I underwent physiotherapy. Condition improved a lot. It is been six months after the injury. No pain, but I still feel woobly when I walk with long steps or sometimes turn rapidly. However I try to avoid rapid movements and walk really slow and short. I really dont want any surgical treatment or anything, I am not a sports person any way.

What I am is an academic geek! I have received an European Govt fellowship and going to London to join my PhD after ten days. I am very much nervous. One, thinking of the fifteen hours plane journey, and another with the big city London. My physician has said that I must not leave the scope of study which was my dream, for the sake of the injury, specially when I can walk and do normal stuffs, no matter slowly. And also advised that I should check with a doctor in London if required, treatment is far advanced there than in India. Well, I have full medical insurance. Still I hope there I dont need it! I am going for three years.

Is my decision right? I am ok to walk and cycling or slowly taking stairs, and I use an elastic knee support. London is making me think, it is big and busy. I am very much nervous. I would be very happy to get to know what you say of this.

Thanks,
Mimi

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Flying to London from India with a ligament injury
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
Hi Mimi2UK:  Absolutey! Your decision to travel to  London and further your education, in my opinion, is correct.  You seem to be getting along OK and there is no immediate need for surgery.  Here are some suggestions:   Traveling on the plane can be uncomfortable without an injury so get up and walk around when you can.  You could ask for some ice for your knee if you have pain.   Before you leave I would check with a physical therapist to see what kind of exercises would best suit you before and after you get to London.  If your knee is still unstable while in London, I would get some expert advice there.   Also bring a copy of your medical record involving your knee with you so that you don't have to start all over again somewhere else.   The hustle and bustle of London could be a little difficult but no harder than anywhere else like that.   There have been many that have done it.   Allow extra time to get around.   You can always get good medical treatment in London and there must be some knee geeks on this site that can assist you with that.   You won't be abusing your knee with sports so I think you will be fine and your managing now with it.  Education is too important to put on the back burner when you don't have to.   Go for it!

Best of Luck: LAS

Offline mimi2uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 06:37:38 AM »
Thank you so much. Your reply is really encouraging. I would be very much grateful if I can get help in this regard. I am not sure of the medical procedures in London. I have been told to make a GP card when I reach there. And the GP can recommend me to an expert if he feels it necessary. Well I am joining City University London. Once I reach, I can know where I have to make my GP card. It would be very helpful if you can advise me of any physician if required and would be waiting to know the exercises you have mentioned. I sincerely thank you.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »
There will be the student health services for the university and they will be in the best position to advise you as to what you have to do. It may be worthwhile emailing them and cc-ing the mail to the International Student Services Officer as well to make sure you are advised correctly.
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline mimi2uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
Hi,

I have reached my university and today it is about 25 days I am in London. The travelling here is really convenient. Only it rains a lot which makes walking not too easy for me. But the best thing is I do not need to walk a lot! There are lots of buses everywhere.

However, I am worried for the snow, if it falls. It would be very difficult for me to walk, I guess. I have never had snow in my life. The scenario which should be the best for me is now a threat to me.

Any suggestion what to do or what not to during the heavy winter/ snow time in London?

Thanks,
Mimi

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »
Unfortunately if it snows even remotely heavily in London, the city tends to stop working efficiently. You'll need a good pair of walking boots.  We had no snow last year, maybe a few flakes.  The forecasters are predicting a bad winter this time, but they are pretty good at getting it wrong so don't worry just yet!

Rain wise, autumn is quite wet usually, we've had a really dry summer compared to usual, but you missed it unfortunately!

How far do you have to travel and what transport do you use?  Outside the very centre, Buses will pretty much stop if there is a lot of snow as the roads get quite bad and gridlocked quickly if the snow isn't cleared or it settles a lot over night.  Trains and tubes are also affected as either the lines are blocked or the drivers etc can't get to work!

Did you have surgery on the knee, or planning it? Probably best to do over Christmas when you don't have classes?

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:12:59 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline mimi2uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »
Hi Vickster,

Thanks for the reply. I am not planning surgery. I am ok now and until I am getting a very bad condition I am not going for surgery!

However, I am really worried for he winter, more after getting you reply. Can you tell me normally what is the nature of snow fall? Is it for a single day or it continues for days and can come any time?

I live nearby the university itself but there is some lanes I have to walk through. I dont know what I will do if it gets covered with snow.  :(

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »
It's hard to generalise - last year there was no snow.  I would think typically there is no more than 5 days of chaos through the winter in central London.  January and February are usually coldest and worst, but snow can come as early as November or as late as May! 
Are you right in the centre of the City - the amount of people and traffic means the snow settles less and gets cleared more quickly

London has a less wintry climate than much of the rest of the UK and certainly compared to much of (Central and Northern) Europe.  Rain and wind are more likely than snow and ice (this right now is not unusual for autumn).  Temperatures in London don't really ever drop much below -5 in the daytime (and that's unusual)

You can get around on foot, will just need to be careful, walk slowly, allow plenty of time and get a warm long coat and a good pair of winter boots if needed :)  If it's not possible to get around, most people just stay home (you'll find your lecturers and fellow students will be the same)!

It snowed around the time of my second knee arthroscopy in Dec 2010, I just stayed home or got lifts/taxis

Don't fret it :)  It's still autumn :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up