Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Question about using tramadol and percocet after knee surgery  (Read 2090 times)

Offline wonderdoodle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Question about using tramadol and percocet after knee surgery
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
Hello, I had ACL/meniscus surgery a few days ago and have a question regarding my pain meds.  I was initially prescribed percocet (5 mg oxycodone 325 acetaminophen) which I took for the first couple days.  However it makes me fall asleep pretty quickly after taking it, so I've stopped taking it during the day and just taking it before bed and again when I wake up in the middle of the night due to pain (my pain seems to only be very bad in the middle of the night!).  As I'm hoping to get back to work and normal life soon, I asked my dr about what I could use for pain from physical therapy, as ibuprofen doesn't do much.  He gave me a prescription for tramadol, which I have never taken before, and said it would not make me sleepy.

What I'm wondering is how I can safely use the two medications.  I'm anticipating only taking the tramadol on days I have PT or if knee pain flares up at work, so 2-3 days per week.  I will use the percocet at night until my nighttime pain goes away or becomes more manageable.  How much time would I need between dosages?  Will there be any bad interactions?  And when should I take the tramadol - before or after my PT?

Thank you!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Question about using tramadol and percocet after knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
 most pain meds have a half life of 4-6 hours.  Opioid mixing should be avoided if possible due to drowsiness and possible effect on breathing. 

Tramadol takes 30-60 minutes to work (for me anyhow) so probably best take before the physio, you can take alongside acetominophen too (obviously being careful not to exceed the dosing with the other pills)

I assume you are not planning on driving while on any of these meds :)  You may find work difficult due to sleepiness too!

BUT you must talk to your surgeon or pharmacist, if unsure.  Also, painkillers constipate so you may want to discuss that too with the pharmacist.  Make sure you drink lots of water
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
Re: Question about using tramadol and percocet after knee surgery
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:43:01 AM »
Tramadol interacts, potentially fatally, with such serotonergics, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressants, serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitors, certain analgesics (pethidine (meperidine), tapentadol, oxycodone, dextromethorphan and fentanyl), certain anxiolytics (such as the SSRIs and buspirone), certain antibiotics (namely, linezolid and isoniazid), certain herbs (e.g. St. John's wort, passiflora, etc.), amphetamines/subtituited amphetamines, phenethylamines/substituited phenethylamines, phentermine, lithium, methylene blue as well as numerous other therapeutic agents.

Both are opiod painkillers... tramadol/tramacet is a 'lesser percocet'. Both can cause drowsiness, so if you are driving yourself to PT I would recommend waiting until after, as you are not supposed to take them and operate 'heavy machinery' (vehicles included). Definitely talk to your doctor/pharmacist.

support