Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL Reconstruction/ Two Months Post Op  (Read 1007 times)

Offline ibtracy1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL Reconstruction/ Two Months Post Op
« on: September 02, 2014, 06:12:51 PM »
I am a 19 year old male who underwent MPFL reconstruction with a lateral release on my right knee on july 2nd, 2014. I am 6 ft 1 inch and 175 pounds and in good physical shape.  As far as my surgical knee goes, i feel as if i am doing okay after surgery but i am unsure of my progress since someone young and in shape like me should recover faster. My range of motion is 130 degrees (147 on non surgical leg) which i am please with. However my quad strength is very weak and its beginning to hinder my daily activities of walking to class (I go to a big university). I can do a 90-0 degree extension with a 7 lb weight strapped on my leg, not sure if that's good at this stage.

My main concern now is my non-surgical leg, which is now beginning to experience pain and a clicking and grinding sound of my kneecap through flexion. There is a "click" that occurs when coming from full extension to a bent position. However i have not dislocated this leg. This leg also lacks strength and stability, i do not have the ability to do a one legged squat with it. This does not surprise me as my doctor has said i have a shallow trochlear groove on both knees. Both of my parents have experienced dislocations earlier in their lives.

Is it possible that I may have a genetic deficiency causing these problems on both knees? It feels like i was almost born this way and a dislocation was just bound to happen. It is beginning to become extremely difficult to get on with normal life when i am recovering from a surgery on my right leg, and experiencing patellar pain and instability on my left leg. I am an active kid and am eager and hoping to get back to my normal life eventually. Any encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
Re: MPFL Reconstruction/ Two Months Post Op
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:15:32 PM »
MPFL is quite a 'major' surgery, (my OS said that), so theres generally going to be a fair bit of muscle atrophy which will take time to get back. while you are recovering you tend to put extra strain on your good leg.

have you been stretching your good leg and doing some self massage? it could just be really tight muscles in your quads, hips, glutes causing undue strain on your knee joint. i know i get this a lot with my ongoing knee problems, i just try to stay on top of giving it as much massage and stretching it needs instead of neglecting it in favor of my 'bad' leg.

the grinding and clicking in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, it really depends on the knee.

try not to stress yourself out by worrying about it and if its really concerning you perhaps you can see your physiotherapist/athletic therapist about it? they'd be able to give you advice on strengthening and stretching. i would also stay away from one-legged squats (or any kind of squat).

Offline ibtracy1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:48:08 AM »
thank you for the advice i will work on stretching. I am working on scheduling an appt with my doctor.

Offline kchan808

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
Hello I am actually going through the same problem right now. My left knee is a reacurring dislocated knee cap had a lateral release done(that failed). Right knee had dislocated 1 time 10 years ago. My left dislocates very easily and doctors have recommended mpfl but looking at MRI images I don't have correct tracking at all and I am looking into trochleoplasty at the moment. In the meAn Time my right is taking the load and started clicking and has since developed chindromalacia. I know it is very frustrating I love sports but right now I need to take care of my knees. Stretching helps lot and strengthening your hamstrings. I tried to do squats and quad strengthening but it tends to flare it up. I also have heard that it's possibly a genetic thing with dislocated knees. Good luck and keep us updated.

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:41:02 AM »
@kchan - squats are really hard on the knees, even when you're fully healthy, i would avoid them especially if they flare you up.

support