Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthroscope on Tuesday now Synovectomy!!  (Read 887 times)

Offline Kite_Buggy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Arthroscope on Tuesday now Synovectomy!!
« on: February 06, 2004, 11:26:31 PM »
Hi All,

I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis @ the tender age of 18 and suffer with a bad back, hips, shoulders and neck but my biggest nightmare over the last 8 years has been my left knee.
I have had sever swelling in the knee for at least 5 days out of every 10 for all this time. I have had x-rays and MRI scans over the years but no damage could be seen on these. I have also had 6 cortisone (sp?) injections I the joint which have offered good relief but I知 not allowed any more as I知 told in the long term they will damage the joint!!
Anyway earlier this year I saw an OS who had a look at my knee and told me that he would be happy to go in and take some nice pictures if that was what I wanted!! As a result I had an Arthroscope earlier this week (in fact I知 slightly worried @ the moment because the joint is quite hot! Is this normal or could it be infected??) Anyway the results were exactly what I was expecting..
According to the surgeons notes I have hypertrophied synovium +++ which I知 told means that 的 have yards of seaweed like tissue in the joint that is causing the swelling and it痴 to much to be got out through the Arthroscope so we will have to open it up
So my surgeon tells me that my next step is an open synovectomy in 6 weeks time and that it痴 a major operation HELP

Has anyone here been through anything similar?? If so what can I expect i.e. pain, recovery time, other options etc etc

Thanks in advance
Steve..

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Arthroscope on Tuesday now Synovectomy!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 08:52:07 PM »
--
KNEEguru

support