Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need help with CPM machine 3 days post ACL surgery  (Read 806 times)

Offline wonderdoodle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Need help with CPM machine 3 days post ACL surgery
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »
Hello everyone!  Today is day 3 of my post ACL reconstruction journey.  On day 1 (day of surgery), I came home and was using my CPM without much discomfort at all, set at 45 degrees and was also using my GameReady cold cuff.  My surgeon said to up the bend by 10-15 degrees per day.  Day 2, upped it to 55 degrees without much trouble.  Today, it is quite uncomfortable to use the CPM past 45 degrees.  I'm sure this is partly due to my nerve block wearing off, and now I can actually feel the pain.  Since I'm not familiar with how this feels, I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.  It feels as though my bandage is too tight and is prevent my knee from bending very far, as I feel a lot of pressure on the front of the knee where the incisions are and also pressure on the back where it is trying to bend but there's so much fabric.

I have an appointment with my surgeon in 2 days to get the bandages removed, but until then, I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible towards a speedy recovery.  I'm just concerned about the pain, and wondering how far I should push myself.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: Need help with CPM machine 3 days post ACL surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:13:15 PM »
You need to be careful how you measure the CPM angles... All you need to do is to lay in a slightly different position, a bit more closer or more distant, and everything changes... even if you lay in a different position of the bed (some softer corner that goes down with weight) or a harder side like closer to the edge, it changes a lot.

Aside that, not every day is equal, it goes with the inflammatory flow. In the long run you make progress, but some days you go backwards, some days forward.

On another note, I wouldn't use cold cuffs while exercising, I used to warm up with massage (except int he early stage with stitches) before CPM and use a warming blanket during it. In the end I would ice it. The rational, is that if you are trying to elongate tendons and ligaments, you want them to be warm and flexible, in order to prevent injuries, you need the blood flow during exercise. Cold should come in the end to control the inflammatory reaction. This was what my PT instructed me to do, and seems to make sense in my opinion.

support