Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar Tendonosis, Tendonopathy  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Fred Wilkins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar Tendonosis, Tendonopathy
« on: September 01, 2014, 05:37:16 PM »
Hi guys,

I am a 22 year old male and have been suffereing from patellar tendonosis on and off for a few years but has come back big time over the past 6 months, (previously it didnt bother me for 2 years).  It has now hit me on the left too.  This is a bummer of an injury but the worst thing is that i have become severely depressed by it since i am in constant pain walking around the house and i feel as if i will never be able to join the Royal Marines let alone run again.  It is also having an impact on my degree which is ironically Sports Science.

Physio does not seem to be helping such that any form of strengthening just flares it back up again.  I have had a few MRI's on it, had one last night actually, and the MRI doesn't actually pick anything up, possibly because there is no inflamation.

Tomorrow i am having Shockwave Therapy with Dr Willis-Owen in London which costs the earth but it has a success rate of about 70% but knowing my luck, i'll be in that 30% group.

Does anyone have any stories of theirs i.e. they suffered for years then it went away? Because i am literally clutching at straws here, any positive feedback or anything that might help in some way would be massively appreciated.  Everyday is a bit of a battle at the moment.

Forgot to mention, i am currently doing eccentric squats which seems to aggrivate it slightly.

If anyone could shed some light on this, i would be massively appreciative!

Many many thanks guys.

Fred

Offline s_

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Patellar Tendonosis, Tendonopathy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:57:07 AM »
Hi Fred,

I am curious if you have any updates on the situation.

Thanks,
S

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 05:45:14 AM »
Fred,
I probably am your worst nightmare.. But maybe you can learn from me.
----
I grew up playing soccer, basketball, diving, was a high jumper and a national hurdler.  I had tendonitis consistently throughout my highschool years and went to drs and they gave me the strap braces, which helped alleviate the pain.  But i would say it was masking the issues.

Post High School I stopped competitive sports, and the tendonitis went completely away.  Then maybe 5 years went by and it would only come back if I over did a jump... like I played some basketball and was consistently dunking or if I was diving for 3 straight hours.

So I thought it was just that my knees were beaten up a bit from years of overuse and that if I overdid it it would come back.

Well 12/20/2014 at age 35 I was on the playground with my 3 year old daughter, I got her up on a slide and climbed back down the ladder to meet her on the ground.  when I put my left leg on the ground my leg collapsed. 

Long story short.. My patellar tendon in my left knee fully ruptured.  And after an MRI - cause given was long term tendonosis basically weakened the tendon to point where it frayed and fully snapped.

I just had surgery (reason Ive been on the boards)  13 days post op now.

The Dr told me that the tendon he just reattached was completely frayed and didnt have much blood supply... he said its a very weak tendon.

Additionally my right knee also has the tendonosis... And the worry there is that, it too could rupture eventually.

SOOOOO in a scared straight type of way Im going to tell you this..
I dont know why I got the tendonitis...  But my guess is that there is some genetics in the shape of my legs and that I worked really hard at alot of jumping sports at a young age...

I dont know how to get rid of tendonitis, though my recent research shows there are ways to rehabilitate.

But I do know that if you leave it untreated, and you think its gone... The fact is that when it comes back it is damaging the makeup of that tendon... And it could potentially end up worse.

So at age 22 -  Take time to find some PT - rest the recommended time and dont do any heavy activity at all during that time...and then do the time to get rid of it for good.

Anyways.... Im not trying to be a downer.. Just trying to encourage you to take it seriously...

Offline eflowevad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 02:29:20 AM »
Fred and bkaplan,

How are things going for you?

I've got some post-surgical patellar and quad tendoosis and I'm curious to see how you are and what has been helpful for you.

Thanks for any info!

support