Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: sinding Larsen Johanson syndrome or patellar tendinopathy?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline sam1234

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
sinding Larsen Johanson syndrome or patellar tendinopathy?
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:04:44 PM »
Hi all. As I've mentioned in a previous post my son (16) has recently been diagnosed with patellar tendinopathy in both knees. He has been undergoing physio for 6 weeks with no improvement and has now been referred to a sports physiologist. When talking to a friend who is a qualified physio, they suggested that my son may have sinding Larsen disease and not patellar tendinopathy. What are the main differences between the two conditions and how can you distinguish between the two conditions? Just as background info, my son is 6'5" and has recently had a growth spurt over the summer. He is very athletic and plays a lot of basketball and generally jumps a huge amount. My son has had pain for over a year, however it became better for a while but worsened at the start of the summer, presumably coinciding with the start of his growth spurt but also the start of regional training which is an intense 5 hour session once a fortnight which was when his knees became too painful to play. Between sessions my son was also playing 1-2 hours a day and has been icing his knees every day since Christmas. Thank you for reading and any opinions on which condition he has or how to find out for sure would be much appreciated

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: sinding Larsen Johanson syndrome or patellar tendinopathy?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:09:05 PM »
Sam:

Just one side comment, a tendinopathy is a broad generic term for many things... it simply means that something is wrong with a tendon chronically or for a long term... could be tendinitis, tendinosis, whatever...

The title reads "OR", which might not be the best approach.

Given the information you gave over a fast growth reaching 6.5, it is plausible that there is not much to argue with PT. There is a sub-forum here dedicated to Osgood Schlatter's Disorder, that is the name of the sub-forum. I believe you can find more information there and probably find people who have the same condition.

Note that Osgood Schlatter's Disorder is very closely related to Sinding-Larsen and Johansson syndrome, I believe the difference is mostly in the zone of the tendon that gets affected (could be wrong), but I suppose one affects the upper part of the tendon close to the patella and the other the zone close to the tibia.

Good luck!

Offline sam1234

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: sinding Larsen Johanson syndrome or patellar tendinopathy?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
Thank you for your comments the NHS physio has used patellar tendinosis and tendinopathy interchangeably which is why I put it in the title thanks for your help I'm very grateful as I obviously want to ensure my sons knees recover asap and all opinions are useful to me