Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Are calf cramps normal or could this be a clot?  (Read 2488 times)

Offline wonderdoodle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Are calf cramps normal or could this be a clot?
« on: September 02, 2014, 04:24:20 AM »
I just had ACL reconstruction on Friday, today is Monday and for the past 48 hours or so I've been experiencing random, painful calf cramps.  They occur in roughly the same spot, and hurt for a few seconds then dissipate.  It has a crampy, throbby feel when it happens, and it only happens a few times throughout the day.  The pain is enough to make me wince or interrupt a sentence, but nothing too horrific.  As someone who is a bit of a hypochondriac, I'm starting to worry myself that it could be a blood clot.  I've tried to do research, but the symptoms seem somewhat vague and I have no idea what type(s) of pain is normal after a surgery like this.  I still have a big Ace bandage and a compression stocking on, so I haven't really examined my calf.  But it doesn't feel hard, or lumpy, or painful to the touch. 

I'm so confused and now worried.  Any advice would be very appreciated!!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Are calf cramps normal or could this be a clot?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:27:48 AM »
They do seem to be common due to bruising and pooled blood, similar discussion here

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=64676.0

However, you must still contact your surgeon, discuss and get checked for a clot if he thinks it's necessary.  Are you using TED compression stockings which reduce the risk? 

Always better safe than sorry. 
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline wonderdoodle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Are calf cramps normal or could this be a clot?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »
Thank you Vickster for your response!  I am wearing TED compression stockings, keeping leg elevated and iced, and taking baby aspirin every day.

Just as a followup for others who may be interested: I had my followup appointment with my surgeon today so that he could remove the gauze and ACE bandage and see how the knee is doing.  I asked about the calf cramps, and based on how my leg looked and felt, and my description of the cramps, he was not concerned about a blood clot.  Coincidentally, I haven't had any calf cramps/pain today.