Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Twisted Knee. Possible menicus tear. Help!  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Abdul Rafeh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • Chat with rafeh95
Twisted Knee. Possible menicus tear. Help!
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:35:17 PM »
So I was playing football 8 days ago. While playing my right knee got twisted and I heard a sound of popping. Initialy I thought it was just some pain & I did Rice treatment. There was no swelling but a lot of pain &  motion of knee got very short. 2 days later I got MRI scan done and following is the report.
Any help/suggestinos would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

MRI RIGHT KNEE

Clinical Info: Twisting injury with complain of pain right knee

Multiplanner, Multisequential, non-contrast, MR study of right knee
Cortical signal void of bones forming in right knee joint are intact with no discrete evidence of fracture, joint subluxation / dislocation. Abnormal MR signals representing marrow oedema / bone bruise are noted at posterior aspect of lateral tibial plateau. MR signal are hypointense on T1WI & hyperintense on T2W/STIR. Medial and lateral collateral, anterior & posterior cruciate ligaments are intact and have normal MR signal. Intra-substance, non-surface abnormal MR signals are noted at posterior horn of medial meniscus. Anterior horn, body of medial meniscus; lateral meniscus are intact and have normal MR signals. Mild joint effusion is noted. No evidence of intra or extra articular loose body is seen. Signal void of the surrounding vessels and rest of the visualized surrounding soft tissues are intact.

IMPRESSION:

Post traumatic bone bruise / marrow oedema posterior aspect of lateral tibial plateau with associated mild joint effusion & grade II MR signal changes at posterior horn of medial meniscus. This needs clinical correlation
AR

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Twisted Knee. Possible menicus tear. Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:22:39 AM »
Hi Abdul Rafeh: Luckily you don't have any ligament tears.  Some bone bruising and possible meniscus tear.   I'm wondering if the OS examined your knee yet.   The examination along with the MRI findings could give you the correct diagnosis.  If your still symptomatic, you may need further testing such as an MR Arthrogram  (with the dye) or arthroscopic surgery.    I would keep doing RICE as much as possible and I would definitely not play football until your knee feels stable and no pain.  Get some physical therapy to help with the range of motion.     I will tell you that tears in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus don't heal on their own.  There is little or no blood supply in that area.  I don't know how old you are.  Depending on your age and symptoms they may be able  do surgery and repair the meniscus to preserve it.   This can be done during arthroscopic surgery.  In any event,  the next step is to talk to your OS and find out what the next step is.   Hope this has helped you.  Best of Luck.  LAS

Offline Abdul Rafeh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Chat with rafeh95
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:40:04 AM »
Yes about ligament tear. I did got got ACL (grade I) tear a year ago. But that was in my left knee and i recovered it with physiotherapy! 
My OS & Physiothrapist did look at the reports, considering my age (19) they both suggested no surgery and showed me exercises to do in order to improve the range of motion of my knee!
But the problem is its been 9 days since the injury but there is no significant improvement in my knee
and yes I've doing RICE since then
AR

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:52:14 AM »
At your young age they would do everything possible to avoid surgery.   Depending on the severity of the bone bruise, it could take up to a month to heal.  I would not get too alarmed yet.  You could try wrapping your knee with a support bandage and apply the ice several times a day to ease the pain.  The MRI says that you have edema in the joint, so there is some swelling in there and this could be adding to the problem you are having with range of motion and physical therapy is a good recommendation for your knee.  Try propping your knee when you are sitting up and curtail your activities.   All of the above I have mentioned will help if there is indeed a meniscus tear.  Sounds like the Doctor and the physical therapist want to give it a chance to heal.   9 days is not enough time to heal your injury.  The OS doctors and physical therapists treat sports injuries constantly and they usually get it right.  So my suggestion is to have patience a little while longer.    If it doesn't get significantly better so that you can play sports the OS will then go to another plan.   Hope this helps you.  and I do hope you are back playing football soon.     LAS

Offline Abdul Rafeh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Chat with rafeh95
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:33:31 AM »
Thanks for the reply!
I am icing my knee 3-4 times a day and also doing exercise to improve the range of motion. I am trying to curtail my activities as much as I can but the pain is not going away, at back side of my knee somtimes I feel a lot of pain. I wearing knee support for like 5 days!
I am hoping to see physio again on Friday. Let see what he recommends
thanks again!
AR

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 02:35:11 AM »
Hi:  When I had a meniscus tear at the posterior horn all of the pain was in the back of the knee.   Remember your dealing with a bone bruise as well which is painful and takes a while to heal. Maybe a month or more.   Best of Luck!   LAS

support