Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL & MCL TEAR ALONG WITH TIBIAL AVULSION SPINE RIGHT KNEE  (Read 1986 times)

Offline dannyboychris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL & MCL TEAR ALONG WITH TIBIAL AVULSION SPINE RIGHT KNEE
« on: August 25, 2014, 05:47:50 AM »
Hi All,

I'm Daniel a newbie here, i'm glad I found this platform to discuss the prob i'm facing.

Knee injury for the 1st time in my life at 33 yrs. It was an unwanted simple accident, the MRI states CHIP FRACTURE, ACL TEAR AND MCL TEAR - date of injury July 26th 2014 @ 9.45 pm. Next day OS sucked some bad blood out from my knee and put a pop cast for 2 weeks, after which my ortho said lets remove pop cast and put a knee brace and asked me to spend 2 weeks with brace NWB. Afterwhich another 2 weeks with KBRACE  this time PWB and start moving knee. Its one month now so far no surgery or healing.... I'm worried, I asked my doc and he says, let the fracture heal first then we'll take care of ACL & MCL, i'm not sure, is this the proceedure???
         'My doc says since you are not in to sports we get ACL treated slowly and w/o surgery.. I'm able to walk with my knee brace on without the crutches but with a limp at the same time Im able to bend my knee only 30 degrees, when I try harder it pains.

Offline dannyboychris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL & MCL TEAR ALONG WITH TIBIAL AVULSION SPINE RIGHT KNEE
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:24:30 AM »
Can situation or necessity arise for a surgery for me because I cant bend my knee only 30 degrees is possible? I've been trying to bend my knee for  the past 6 day can't beyond 30 and its painful.... Any suggestions? Has anyone been through this in the past give me some courage & advice pls

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 04:47:11 AM »
Hi dannyboychris:   Healing the fracture  is the first procedure.  At 33 years old the fracture should heal within 6 weeks or so providing you don't do anything to aggravate it.   It seems like the OS is taking the conservative route which is good.  The surgeon must of felt that your knee was stable enough to let the fracture heal first.   It's important to have the knee as strong as possible before you repair the ACL and MCL if needed.   Most MCL tears heal on their own.   
You probably should be getting some PT.  If you have any swelling it will help with that.  In the meanwhile, depending on the grade of the tear, it will  heal on its own and  hopefully won't need surgery at all.   It takes time and patience.  I would talk to your doctor or a physical therapist about your concerns and they could recommend a plan about the best way to handle this.  I would most definitely get some PT if your not already doing that.    Best of Luck.  LAS

Offline dannyboychris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:24:07 AM »
Hi Las,
    Thank you so much for your inputs. So the conservative method is a good idea, but what does it mean to get my knee really strong? How would I know that my knee is strong? Should I be able to walk without the brace without a limp and should be able to move my leg freely with out pain??

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:40:23 AM »
dannyboychris ~ having done some of the same damage to my knee I would think that once your fracture heals it's very possible in time that you'll be walking with neither a limp nor pain. A lot depends on how badly torn each ligament was. I was back to riding horses & was fairly comfortable in a month's time. My MCL tear healed in the usual 6 to8 weeks & my ACL which was totally disrupted is simply no longer there. Ten years down the road & I'm still doing well. Wishing you the best.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline dannyboychris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »
I must say your experience is a bit motivating for me to hear.
I'm curious to know what causes' a pain the fracture or the Acl or the Mcl?
When I try to bend my knee or walk with my brace on I can feel a pain in the inner part of my right knee, I'm not sure why? Any ideas...

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I have no idea what might be causing your pain quite honestly. I can only say that the pain I experienced was literally all over the knee. There was no pain from my ruptured ACL; rather there was knee instability for a while. Through the years I've experienced a few weeks here or there with rather intense medial or lateral pain & assumed I'd torn more meniscus. Your injury takes time to heal so don't become frustrated because you can't do right away what you used to be able to do.

April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline dannyboychris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »
I should admit this is an unwanted problem for me to take on however I have to live with it. I'm going to my meet my Doctor on the 1st of september and will update doc's response... Hope this gets well soon. Many thanks for your response and look out for my post after the 1st...

Cheers Las