Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellofemoral Joint Replacement  (Read 1415 times)

Offline katiejarr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Patellofemoral Joint Replacement
« on: August 22, 2014, 04:58:31 AM »
Hello!  I am new to this site.  I am 53 and I have no cartilage left under my knee caps.  I was originally told that I should have TKR.  I have had Euflexxa shots and Cortisone and neither have given any relief.  I had a 2nd opinion and this Dr said I could get a PJR, basically Knee Cap replacement, I had never heard of this before.  Wondering if anyone out there has had this and if this has helped with relief of pain.  I really only have pain in my knee caps. I used to be able to exercise 5 days a week (18 mons ago), yoga 2-3 days and treadmill 2 days a week.  Now everything causes pain, now Im down to yoga once a week and 2-3 days of upper body and maybe the recumbent bike 1-2 times a week for 15-20 mins very slowly...then Im in pain!

Im looking for any feedback you may have on this surgery...thanks so much!!!

Offline Millsy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Patellofemoral Joint Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:26:50 AM »
I haven't been there, but I am watching your space with interest for my own benefit. I hope you get some pain relief soon...

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »
You might find some posts of use here

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=36.0
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »
Hi Katiejarr:  I will too be watching posts regarding this subject.  I am interested in this topic for myself.
It's hard to find accurate information on PKR or resurfacing.  The only thing I understand is that they won't perform this surgery after a certain age and only in one compartment.  Hope all turns out well for you.   

Vickster:   Thanks for the link.    LAS

Offline katiejarr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 08:37:08 PM »

Offline mariang

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »
interesting. I have kworrypain in good leg, getting no better thirteen week post op.phydio not bothered, advice is to be patient. sports mass age man advise muscles knot on good leg.pain occur couple hour post exercise, more pain if doing
adrengthening.need i worry

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 06:31:48 AM »
actual knee cap replacement or part of the knee cap? i ~thought~ whole knee cap replacement couldn't be done, hence patellectomy on shattered ones, it would interesting to know... going to google.

if you're talking about partial (as in osteochondral allograft surgery), i've had that done, basically you get put on a wait list, get a donor knee cap and then they drill, with a jig, into your and the donor's kneecap so the section taken is almost exact and then they put the donor bone (with good cartilage) in the space in your and then you are non-weight bearing for 8 weeks or so to allow the bone to heal. due to the compromised strength in my leg the rest of my cartilage has sloughed off, or is in the process of, but three years out the donor part looks great. this surgery is considered the last biological, according to articles on it, solution before a PKR or TKR.

edit: nvm my ignorance, did some googling and of the studies i found it seems that onlay style PJR seem to do better than inlay type.

PJR on healio

Most importantly, contemporary onlay style trochlear components, implanted perpendicular to the anteroposterior axis of the femur, have substantially reduced the patellar maltracking that was so prevalent with inlay style prostheses for 3 decades. With onlay trochlear designs, early patella instability problems have been reduced, leaving late tibiofemoral degeneration as the primary cause of failure of patellofemoral arthroplasties. Several long-term studies have shown a rate of tibiofemoral degeneration of approximately 20% at 15 years. Finally, the results of TKA do not seem to be compromised by the presence of a prior patellofemoral arthroplasty.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:12:31 AM by tinydinosaur »

support