Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lacerated peroneal nerve injury  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Sharp saw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Lacerated peroneal nerve injury
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:04:33 PM »
Hi there , 1st post so apologies if I cock it up! Brief history - lacerated my right leg with a chainsaw to the side and back of my right knee just below my knee severing tendons, calf muscle and perineal nerve but no damage to bone on 12/12/2013 . I initially was unaware of nerve damage assuming my lack of dorsi flexion was due to cut tendons. The registrar I saw put me straight on that one with a somewhat blunt and grim outlook.
I was transferred to the Royal Melbourne where, after a 4 day wait, I was operated on. Initially the surgeon had assumed he was going to have to do a nerve sheath graft however he was able to rejoin the two ends and put my leg in a brace with knee bent at a 20 degree angle  so as the nerve repair could not be stretched.
8 weeks later i finally got to take the brace off and begin physio. 3 months post opp my surgeon detected that I had some signs of nerve regeneration below the scar site and while he was encouraged to see it, he was  fairly cautious in regard to how he thought my overall recovery would go. At 6 months I could just move my tendon on the top of my foot but had no lift in my toes or foot. 2 weeks later I got the first visible lift movement in my big toe . Now 8 months on I can lift my foot to about 85 degrees, I have dispensed with afo's and am back running again. While I still trip occasionally and have lateral weakness  -I have to be careful on sloping uneven ground  otherwise I  risk rolling my ankle.  The surgeon told me at the start I would have 12 - 18 months of recovery  as the nerve is so slow to re grow so I am working hard to achieve as much as I can. I  am fortunate to have  got this far and work completely normally thanks to some great support from family, friends and employers.
 I have used several different orthotics but found the custom made sprung  hinged, though bulky, to be the best, though I also used the dorsi flex X strap (a US company trading as X Strap systems)which I found great for riding my bike and now use when I run. At times it's just nice to be able to walk with my foot supported but without the bulkiness of the afo around my calf.
 I get quite a bit of  jabbing nerve pain but think this is a small price to pay if it means things are happening . If someone had told me at the beginning the roller coaster of emotions that I would go through I would never have believed them, I can only offer encouragement for similar perineal nerve injury sufferers. no two cases are the same.  In my favour I am 47, have kept reasonably fit, don't smoke and keep positive- good outcomes can happen.
Hope this helps /encourages  someone , happy to answer any questions

Offline under651bridge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Lacerated peroneal nerve injury
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the inspiring story. I currently have a peroneal nerve injury though nothing as serious as yours. I was told mines was possibly stretched. The docs have also informed me that it may never heal. I hope to prove them wrong. It has now been almost 5 months since the injury and still no dorsiflexion. I look forward to the day I can be AFO free.

Offline under651bridge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »
Sharp saw, is there anything you did prior to regaining motion back in your foot that you believe may have helped you in regenerating your nerve? Did you take any type of special supplements or medication? Did you do any special type of exercises or therapy? I have read some of the success stories on the other threads but I would like to know your personal experiences. Every little bit of information helps. Thanks in advance to any type of advice you can give.

Offline Sharp saw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
Hi there apologies for the delay in replying , I have just passed the 12 months since my injury . For me I followed up regular physio with a lot of rubbing to try and stimulate nerve and muscle regeneneration . I am fortunate I have a fairly physical job so I believe that helped too . I also had some 'healing ' from a friend can't really describe what  he did other than work on my energy lines -'chakras ' all I know is it was a bit like waking my foot up and when ever he worked on it my foot seemed warmer and made my toes wiggle involuntarily!!

I now run 10- 12 km 3 times a week  and am probably fitter than I have been for a long time my foot movement is 90 95%  I still have blank areas where I can not feel surface touch and pins and needles if I try to hold my foot up for extended periods.

My physio told me to stand on a cushion on my injured leg with my eyes shut - not easy to maintain balance on a good leg!!  Which has also helped regain muscle strength . The muscle is by no means 100 %  but it  no longer inhibits my movement and only gives me problems if I where flat shoes when there is no cushioning when I  plant my foot resulting in a slight slap which is uncomfortable after a bit.  Wishing you well and fingers crossed for your recovery.

I have been fortunate

Offline under651bridge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »
Sharpsaw:

Thanks for the info and your words of encouragement. I am 6 1/2 months out since my injury and currently have another surgery coming up to re-explore the nerve to see if it will repair on its own. Using everything I have learned about recovering from you and others on this forum, I am hopefull that I will recover soon and fast. Thank you once again and God bless.