Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is this scar tissue? Is this normal?!  (Read 994 times)

Offline gemma25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Is this scar tissue? Is this normal?!
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
Hello fellow knee sufferers!

5 weeks ago I had a tear of my medial meniscus removed. I thought I;d been progressing well up until about the four week mark. This is when I decided to go to see my physio and just check I was doing the right exercises and when she recommended I should return to sport.

She was happy with ROM but was concerned with the adhesions under the incisions - I have three below my knee cap and one above. She said I should have been massaging them after the stitches came out to prevent them sticking. So this week I've been doing that but I've noticed that most of the area below my kneecap seems very hard as opposed to my unoperated knee which is soft to touch. I gather this is the fat pad of the knee?

It seems to be stopping my kneecap moving quite as freely as the other leg. Walking is fine but I get a tightness when flexing the knee and I feel it stopping me getting those last few degrees of extension.

So I'm wondering if I'm correct to believe this is scar tissue in the fat pad?? And is this normal at this stage post partial meniscectomy? If it is or in fact not can anyone offer any advice on what to do?

Cycling definitely relieves any tightness as does massaging but the tissue still seems very hard.

Many thanks all x

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Is this scar tissue? Is this normal?!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:35:28 AM »
Friction massage and patellar mobilizations are probably the most helpful thing you can do for the adhesions at this point. I had a similar problem after my ACL surgery, and it came "unstuck" at about the 6-7 week mark after my physiotherapist helped me pinpoint the problem and we started addressing it a bit more aggressively.

Keep an eye on it and definitely keep the conversations happening with your physiotherapist - it doesn't sound unusual for this stage in recovery but you want to keep an eye on it in case it doesn't improve, which is a possibility.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »
Hi There,

I am around the same number of weeks post up, I am just over 4 weeks post up, 32 days ago I had surgery on my right knee for the 2nd time in just under 5 years. 1st scope was a medial plica excision and trimming of the fat pad.

The trimming of my fat pad caused an excessive amount of scar tissue and had a cortisone injection and friction massage post op scope #1! I had a slow recovery feeling pain and tightness around the bottom of my right knee around the portals.

My OS said to me at last week’s post op check up appointment that if scar tissue was to return will happen around now 4 to 6 weeks post op.

Patellar mobilisation and soft tissue mobilisation above and below the patellar and around the tendon and obtaining and maintaining full rotation is important at the stage we are both at post op, as Snowy has already pointed out. 

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline gemma25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »
Thanks for your replies,

I shall see my physio again as soon as possible as I imagine she'll be a bit more aggressive than I am being now!

Is it helpful to ice the area aswell or is it more productive to use heat to improve blood flow to the area?

Thanks

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »
Hi once again,

This is what I have copied and pasted from the owner of KG 'Sheila Strover' on KNEEgeeks Google + page that I have joined as I asked the same question on there.

Regarding icing, my understanding is that it helps with the pain and inflammation in the acute stage or with an acute incident, but at your stage I would imagine patellar mobilisation and soft tissue mobilisation above and below the patellar and around the tendon is the most important way to go. Also make sure that you obtain and maintain full extension.

Hope it has been helpful.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:48:19 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming